A Walk In Oak Canyon Nature Center - Anaheim, CA
Being from California but living in Asia, it's always nice to be back where I grew up. Especially nice during this time of the year, when family and friends come together to celebrate the holidays.
After a long air journey with @suitcasemama, @suitcasetoddler, and @suitcasebaby (those last two are for you, @checky!) I wanted to get out in nature as soon as possible to stretch our legs and breathe in some fresh, non recycled air. With a newborn in tow, we'd have to make a quick local trip and I knew just the place:
The Oak Canyon Nature Center is about 10 minutes from where I grew up. Hard to believe, but it's in Anaheim, California, a city known for Disneyland, a mediocre baseball team, and the ska/rock band No Doubt. No one thinks of nature when then think of Anaheim.
But if you're in the area and find yourself needing a break from the strip malls and the concrete, check this place out. It's 50+ acres of protected land and once you're there, you almost feel like you're out of the city.
Tucked back behind a golf course and a residential area, it's very quiet. Besides the occasional airplane flying overhead, you immediately feel like you're well out of the city.
The hiking is very easy - only about 4 total miles of trails. The main path is very flat making it very child/toddler friendly. Here's @suitcasetoddler collecting leaves in his hat.
More child friendly features: there's a nature center, a mine display, park rangers that host events, even a preschool/daycare that meets a couple times a week.
There are even fire-fighting goats!
These hero goats munch up the underbrush to keep the floor of the woods less flammable. With all the fires these days, I think their job security is strong!
All in all, a great morning at the Oak Canyon Nature Center with family.
Extremely easy access plus a remote feel and a child friendly vibe make this a winner for our family. Just make sure you don't touch anything with three leaves (poison oak) or you'll be taking home a bit of a "reminder" of your adventures in the park!
All photos mine and @suitcasemama's
#SoCalSteemit is building and supporting the Steemit community of Southern California. If you are from SoCal and are into creating quality content here on Steemit, we'd love for you to follow us @SoCalSteemit and join our group on Discord
Allow Me to Introduce Myself! | Husband / Father / Humanitarian / Traveler / Expat Abroad
- @checky Tribute Post
- My Steem Origin Story - eoj
- Proof there is indeed life after HF20
- Share Your World - @eoj
- The Get to Know Me Challenge - Top Ten Posts by @eoj
- A Lakeside Walk in Pokhara, Nepal - A Wednesday Walk
- Street Art in Pokhara, Nepal - A Lakeside Walk
- The First Steemit Sole Survivor Contest - 20 STEEM Grand Prize - Status: LOCKED!
- Giving Back: Nepal - Four Worthwhile Causes to Support
- More Street Art in Bangkok - A Walk Through Talat Noi, Bangkok
- The Stranger Than Fiction Digest - Edition One: Art Gone Wrong
- Personal Finance 101 - Part 1 - Step on the Scale, Get Organized, Feel the Pain
- Street Art in Bangkok - A Walk Through the Neighborhood
- WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT - Think you're well traveled? Name that.... TAIL!
- Giving Back: Thailand - Four Worthwhile Causes to Support
- Why I Disappear from Steemit on Sundays
- Well Off the Beaten Path - Restoration of Saat Tale Royal Palace - Nuwakot, Nepal
- It's July 4th - Happy Birthday America!
- Cox's Bazar Surf Report and the Father of Bangladeshi Surfing
- World's 50 Best Restaurants for 2018 Announced
- How to Overcome Screen Addiction - 5 Practical Tips