It was another great week in the #fiftywords world. In this post I’ll list some of the most awesome posts from writers who tackled last week’s Fifty-word short story challenge with the prompt of "spring." And then I'll provide a new prompt for the coming week. I have so much fun with this, you guys! I love to see what everyone comes up with, and it gives me a prompt each week for a 50-word story as well.
If you’re a regular, you know I’m stoking the fire of the #fiftywords story format until @miniature-tiger is ready to take it on again. (I have not heard word yet about if or when, and so I carry on!)
(Image credit: Original image by pixel2013, Pixabay)
The springiest spring prompt posts
First, the #fiftywords rock star of the week
I have to say, @tanglebranch swept me away with her post, Jeffy’s Boots. While I’m a little mad at her for making me cry, as I told her last night she wins the “Jayna’s doffed cap award.” You need to read this piece. It is a perfect example of the power of a well-crafted 50-word short story.
What makes it so amazing is that the entire story is in the subtext, and yet there’s no mistaking what’s going on here. The full story of what has happened in the lives of the two people blooms in your mind as you read it. This is always my goal when I write a 50-word story. Well done, @tanglebranch! A cheers, a 100% upvote and a 1 SBD hug to you.
(Interesting side note: Tangle does not use the word “spring” in her story. The prompt word inspired this piece, but does not appear in it, which is totally fine by me.)
Second, the honorable mentions
There were so many good stories!
Here are some that stood out in particular for a variety of reasons. They pull at our heartstrings, or make us laugh, smile, imagine or reflect. In all cases, they are well crafted and edited, and demonstrate that the author really took the time to make every word count. (Note that some of the pieces went through the editing queue at The Writers' Block on Discord, and it shows!)
- Spring Rolls, by @therosepatch, tells the story of Daniel who is challenged to support his family with cryptocurrency falling.
- Procrastinating, by @isa93, cleverly describes exactly what the title would suggest!
- Free, by @negativer, tells the story of a cat and a mother at one of life’s Big Transitions, and is either touching or humorous, depending on your personal interpretation. (Negativer, how did you do that?)
- Spring in the air, by @ablaze, makes you want to run right out into a meadow and frolick with the lambs.
- Neon, by @beginningtoend, is an adorably terrifying bit of micro science fiction.
- The race, by @adigitalife, is a must-read for its fast pace, humor and surprise ending!
- A Cruel Game, by @brandonsadventur, tells a powerful story of a clockmaker in a Nazi war camp.
- The Swiss Spring, by @cizzo, is a clever story about Sally that incorporates multiple interpretrations of the word “spring.”
- A summer Rose, by @diebitch, tells a poignant story of roses and scarred hearts.
Oh, and I threw my own into the ring as well: The farmers' market.
Thank you so much to everyone who participated!
This week's 50-word story prompt
As you may know, I love prompt words that can have more than one meaning. This week's story prompt is "mouse." Let your imagination run wild.
Here they are:
- Write a story in 50 words. (It's especially cool if you can hit 50 words exactly!)
- Use the #fiftywords tag, and post the link in the comments of this post.
- Be sure to read and upvote the work of the other participants. It's all about community!
- Use only artwork that you have the right to use, and attribute it properly. See below.
Proper use of images
Proper use of images means one of the following:
- It is your image.
- The image is public domain, or under creative commons licensing rules.
- If it is not one of the above, you have actual permission.
Be sure to mention that the image is yours, or attribute its source. And if it's not public domain or creative license, be sure to state that you have permission.
I have two resources for you, from my friends at #thewritersblock:
Deadline: Saturday, March 24th
The 50-word story clan
I'm mentioning you here if have participated in the #fiftywords short story challenge in the past. Please let me know if you would like your tag removed in this or future posts.
@ablaze, @adigitalife, @agmoore, @ahmadmanga, @aksounder, @alheath, @andyartland, @anixio, @anjkara, @awhsarada
@beginningtoend, @bentheredonethat, @bhop42moro, @bitsendpieces, @botefarm @brandonsadventur, @bryarose23
@caleblailmusik, @carlosparejo, @charlesmackenzie, @cizzo, @creatr, @curtwriter
@damianjayclay, @deirdyweirdy, @diebitch, @dinavice, @dirge, @divineinyang
@eaglespirit, @ebitularmbert, @elementm, @emwalker, @enjar, @evgsk
@feebie, @felt.buzz, @fireawaymarmot, @fitinfun, @freewheel
@iamthegray, @ilt-yodith, @isa93, @isufbakaj
@jadams2k18, @janine-ariane, @jakeybrown, @jayna, @joyyrush
@kainos-success, @kamalkennedy, @kingernie, @ktfabler
@ldacey-laforge, @lonestarpoet, @loraine, @lucylin
@Mammasitta, @marie-jay, @mark-dahl, @maxiemoses-eu, @metzli, @mikesthoughts, @mineopoly, @miniature-tiger, @momzillanc
@naquoya, @naso, @navaneeth, @negativer, @niallon11, @nicolexu1337
@paintingangels, @pixiehunter, @poeticnest, @preparedwombat, @prydefoltz
@saoirseronan, @sciencevienna, @skoolielove, @spalatino, @stayoutofherz, @sukhasanasister, @superjongky
@thatlovechild, @theblackcrow, @therosepatch, @tiatu, @tibra, @tin-tin, @tony-duke, @tygertyger
@whitewizard, @wilfredn, @wordsalmighty, @wylde
Thank you so much for participating!