The Walking Dead S08E16 "Wrath" (My Review)
If you don't want "Spoilers," scroll down to the "Non-Spoilers" section where I give my broad conclusion and overall thoughts
Spoilers (In-Depth Analysis)
The parts I don't care
- Morgan hallucinating about Jared. I don't care about the character Morgan anymore. He inconsistently keeps regaining and losing his sanity. Back in season 1 he was still alright then in season 3 he lost it then in season 5 he becomes a hippie then in season 7 he becomes homicidal.
- Rick asking Saddiq how Carl got bitten. I don't care about him.
- I knew it deep down that Eugene was smart character. I actually love his character and is one of the many things the writers of this show gets it right. They were always consistent with him when it came down to how tactical and how witty he is when his character was first introduced. The way how Eugene made the war into a 180 by sabotaging the bullets was smart. I always knew he was full of surprises.
- The part where Gabriel tried to escape I thought that would be pretty cool with how he was blind then relied on faith to lead him to Rick to warn about Negan's ambush but failed. I did like how he punched Negan in the face with Dwight coming in afterwards.
- Oceanside finally coming in to fight the Saviors was PREDICTABLE and POINTLESS since all the guns the Saviors hold are sabotaged. I mean the remaining Saviors at Hilltop if they tried to shoot at the people then their guns would explode and the result would be the same as Negan ordering his men to ambush Rick and Rick's people. Oceanside was forgettable. If I directed or wrote the plot I would make them be more active in S08E08 "How It's Gotta Be" where they stealthily attack Gavin's crew in The Kingdom then disappear without a trace.
With the way how the war ended I was happy that they didn't outstretch the war for too long like up to the beginning of season 9 and that they finally concluded the long battle. In The Walking Dead series nothing has challenged Rick and his group to the extreme other than Negan. The major antagonists like the The Governor and The Hunters, none of them appeared longer than a season. The Saviors however lasted for about 2 and half seasons. I will write in another post about The Walking Dead series as a whole and add more details about the quality and story direction but for now I will focus in depth of "Wrath."
Maggie, Daryl, and Jesus
- It seems that they are secretly trying to overthrow Rick and people including myself are disappointed at that. Honestly for me it doesn't make much sense. I mean people have to learn to agree to disagree and make a middle bridge or live with it but the approach they make sounds like they are going to the extreme. If they are going against Rick, my theory is that it is only going to last up to the middle of season 9 because the actress who plays Maggie seems like she wants to leave the series to work on other network shows. The same opinion goes for the actors who play Daryl and Jesus.
Non-Spoilers (Overall Thoughts)
This episode is not perfect because there are parts I just don't care, one scene that doesn't make sense, and plenty of other parts that are predictable. The action was just okay but it still enjoyable. This episode fortunately has one big twist and I was pretty happy that they added it at the right scene. "Worth" is a fitting title.
Everybody should finally be happy now that this season is over and ended the way how it should be. It was a good thing that it did not end like season 6 finale. I have looked a bit into the comics and people who feel like this series is at its end shouldn't feel that. There are still plenty of fresh new stories left in this tv series. As long as the comic book series still keeps on going the tv show will never be dead.
The story that takes place after the war with the Saviors is going to be on a whole another level. The way how I would describe it is that it is more ROOTED/ZOMBIE like.
My Grading Rubric:
This simply means that it is CRAP. It also means that for an amount of time you spend watching a movie/episode is also the amount of time you are never going to get back. I can simply have another picture that is two-thumbs-down to prove that it is dog shit but this picture grade shows that it is horrible and you want to avoid it at all costs.
My Grade For This Episode:
If you guys enjoyed reading this check out my other previous episode reviews of The Walking Dead: