Yesterday I visited Westgate Hill Cemetery in Newcastle to obtain some shots of gravestones for people to use in their Halloween posts and also potentially to be used for Remembrance Sunday. Westgate Hill Cemetery is a good choice because it mainly contains older graves (the most recent ones being from WWI) which makes it unlikely that any of the photos will upset living family members - an important consideration if you are trying to be sensitive to the families of those who are deceased.
The cemetery is located next to a busy main road, Westgate Road, which actually famous for having a large concentration of motorcycle shops (those are much further along though and not pictured).
A sad state of affairs
This would be a beautiful place were it not for the fact that it is in considerable disarray. Apparently it is a popular venue for drunks and drug users which became apparent when I saw the numbers of bottles of alcoholic drinks, beer cans and general rubbish. Sadly the council does not consider it a priority to clean it despite it being a "Grade II registered Historic Park and Garden".
I have tried to process these using some sepia and copper tone black and white filters (monochrome shots) which I feel gives more of a vintage feel. For the colour photos I have used some curves adjustment to give a more dreamy feel and accentuate the autumn colours.
Unfortunately the conditions meant that I often had to make a choice between exposing for the highlights in the sky or detail in the shadows.
The shot below is a good example of the vast dynamic range that I was trying to capture:
As is often the case - I could see a lot more detail in both the shadows and the highlights with my eyes than the camera could capture here.
The Main Shots
If you like my work and aren't already, please follow me and check out my blog (I mainly discuss photography but I do other topics too) - @thecryptofiend
Camera: Nikon D800 with Sigma 24-70mm/2.8 lens.
Photo Credits: All photos are my own unless otherwise stated and free for you to use under the terms of Steemit4free
(Verification for me here: http://www.aapicture.com/about-me)
Some of my other recent posts
- Return to the Sage (Concert Venue) in Gateshead - (feel free to use in your own posts)
- The Face 2015 Photography Competition - I received a nice surprise in the post!
- The Only Piece of Art I have left from School and What Made Me Give Up Art for so Long
- New Graffiti from the Sage Gateshead (free for you to use in your own posts)
- More Architecture plus some Graffiti Too - The Sage Gateshead (free for you to use in your own posts)
Are You New to Steemit and Finding it Confusing?
These resources may help:
- For a Quick FAQ - Try this
- To learn about Markdown (to help you post) - Try this
- Need to know Steemit Etiquette? - Try this
- Need some free images for your posts? Try Steemit4free - make sure to check which images it applies to.
- Need to talk to a human for help? - Try the chat
- Need Mentorship? - Try Steemprentice - here is a link that explains it, and here is the chat channel.
- Need a Free Image Host that works with Steemit? - Try SteemImg - it automatically produces markdown and html links for you, as well creating thumbnails and more.