Second week on the job as Sustainability Curator for the Minnow Support Project and I'm definitely getting my feet under the table.
I've been on the lookout throughout the past week for sustainability related gems and I sure have found some great posts to feature in this digest.
The plan to interweave this curation process with finding guests for my Alternative Lifestyle Show on MSP Waves Radio also worked out super well.
@alexa.janell unfortunately couldn't make it on to Friday's show but is scheduled to come on in the next week or two.
A couple of the other curated authors are also looking at coming on future shows.
So I have high hopes for this week's curation choices.
The Five that made it ... the Picks of the Week
Empowering Ourselves By Building Food Security by @walkerland
I was collecting potential posts all through the week for this curation digest and I was surprised by the end of the week that I had actually added four posts from @walkerland to the shortlist.
As a prepper myself, food security is a big thing, so of @walkerland's four posts on my list this one just edged home to become one of my five picks of the week.
If bad times come how long would your food stocks last? Check out @walkerland's post to learn about improving your food security...
How to Bottle and Brew Kombucha at Home by @rakkasan84
I am a keen follower of the Way of the Ferment, and I like to keep my microbiome happy with the likes of kefir and sauerkraut.
I haven't yet ventured into making Kombucha so this post caught my eye.
If you want to learn to love the SCOBY take a read of @rakkasan84's post...
Bugging Out – Why Bother? PART 1 by @preppervetuk
Prepping and bugging out might be considered to be on the edge of the sustainability remit, but to be truly sustainable you need to be prepared for every eventuality.
If you want to see if you need a bugging out plan take a look at @preppervetuk's post...
Making AirCrete For The First Time. Alternative Building Material! by @basicstoliving
AirCrete is something new to me, but it seems it is a less environmentally impactful building material than traditional concrete. And it's cheaper too.
@basicstoliving's post will tell you more...
My first time having Alligator : An Alligator Sauce Piquant over Rice by @armadillocreek
This is definitely the curve ball in the frying pan.
Even though I am currently chomping at the door of veganism I couldn't resist this one. I am guessing alligators aren't yet factory farmed so it is worth exploring different forms of protein if you are a meat eater.
Go take a bite out of this post...
The Five that didn't quite ... the Honorable Mentions
During the week I shortlisted more than a dozen posts in total. Aside from the five that made it into the top picks of the week, these are another five that were close, but not quite close enough.
They are all definitely worth a read and a vote for good measure...
- Vegan Sunday Roast | Spicy Cauliflower Roast With Rainbow Chickpea Salad And Tomato Veggie Sauce by @amy-goodrich https://steemit.com/fruitsandveggiesmonday/@amy-goodrich/vegan-sunday-roast-or-spicy-cauliflower-roast-with-rainbow-chickpea-salad-and-tomato-veggie-sauce
- Easy To Spot Medicine Growing Almost Everywhere This Time Of Year by @hopfarmnc https://steemit.com/homesteading/@hopfarmnc/easy-to-spot-medicine-growing-almost-everywhere-this-time-of-year-5f569651a5622
- Compact Survival Fishing Kit 🎣 [Survival Article] by @juozas https://steemit.com/survival/@juozas/compact-survival-fishing-kit-survival-article
- Tangwystl Cottage - adding a little spice in my life by @ravenruis https://steemit.com/homesteading/@ravenruis/tangwystl-cottage-adding-a-little-spice-in-my-life
- Our 1st Week Living Off-Grid!!! by @senorcoconut https://steemit.com/ecotrain/@senorcoconut/our-1st-week-living-off-grid
I will be on the lookout now for posts to include in this weekly Sustainability Curation Digest.
I am also always seeking out new guests for the Alternative Lifestyle Show that I host on MSP Waves Radio every Friday.
If you haven't listened to the show before you can hear last week's episode here :@Pennsif#9921.
I also run a charitable giving project called A Dollar A Day - you can read more about that here :
The Minnow Support Project has multiple curators that pick five posts from under-valued minnows each week to highlight through MSP3k. This way MSP and PAL can promote new writers and content creators on Steemit, and in effect reward them for doing a superior job.