How to avoid looking like spam
1. Do NOT use short phrases like "nice post" or "good job".
Make an effort to say something specific about the post that you personally thought was interesting.
2. Do NOT ask for votes or follows or help.
People will vote and follow you if you contribute. Period. So contribute. Period.
3. Do NOT post links to your own material.
The exception would be if it is uniquely related to the actual post, or to a comment left by another user. And even then, link sparingly. When in doubt, just don't do it. It's tacky.
4. Do NOT start talking about subjects that have nothing to do with the post.
This is dumb. And rude. Don't do it.
5. Do NOT use random, irrelevant pictures as your avatar.
Use an avatar or picture that represents you. If you have a silhouette still, or you have chosen a picture of some random item, it will show. Look at users who seem like they have been on here awhile and are doing things for an idea of what's normal and authentic.
6. Have actual posts on your blog. That are not written by bots. :)
If I go to your blog and find nothing, or a lot of the same thing, or bot-written posts, I'll flag you.
7. Do NOT talk about steem or cryptocurrency
...unless you plan to have a lengthy conversation with someone about something specific you want to talk about. Comments like "I hope steem goes to $20" or "steem and bitcoin are on the rise" could get flagged.
8. Do NOT copy and paste or repeat short phrases on the same post
...or on any posts, for that matter. You'll get flagged.
Be sure to read my favoritestupidcomments posts. These are full of great examples of what NOT to do!