Homemade Rock Candy
This is a fun food project to do with your kiddos and friends. Can also provide cheap and stylish party favors!
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup White Corn Syrup
- 3 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 drops Food Coloring of your choice
- Mix all the ingredients in a large, deep pot.
- *Warning: Adults may want to perform this step without the kiddos, as the liquid is VERY hot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then continue stirring on high heat until it reaches 300 degrees (use a candy thermometer to measure the temp).
- Immediately pour into a tray so it can cool.
- After an hour, it will be hard and you can smash it to pieces with a mallet. :)
- If you do not have a candy thermometer, you can use the Cold Water Method described in this article - I used this method and it really works (and was kind of fun)!