Today I'm gonna share with you a delicious Hungarian pastry recipe. These cute little rolls are called darázsfészek, which means wasp nest, but don't be afraid, they are not dangerous, just super yummy!
These fluffy and light yeasted dough rolls are filled with a sweet buttery almond, vanilla and cinnamon filling. Originally they are filled with ground walnuts, but in lack of walnuts, I replaced them with ground almond.
There's no glaze on top of the rolls, but right before removing them from the oven, we brush them with a milk to give them a nice soft texture. The milk soaks the batter and doesn't let the roll to dry out, they stay very tender for 2 days. Due to the milk "glaze" the rolls have a crispy top and sticky bottom.
These Hungarian-style cinnamon rolls have a tender yeast dough made completely from scratch which rises up relatively fast. After about 10 minutes of kneading, the dough will double it's size in one hour. Then you just have to roll out the dough, spread the filling, roll up and cut the dough into slices. place the slices into the baking pan leaving a little space between the slices and bake them for 20 minutes.
These tender rolls are ideal for a snack, breakfast or crowd-feeding dessert and they could be your next favorite pastries. Enjoy!
Almond Cinnamon RollsPrep time: 110 minutes | Baking time: 20 minutes
For the dough:
2 cup flour
2/3 cup / 150 ml milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp sugar
1 teaspoon dry yeast
3 tbsp butter
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup ground almond
1 cup milk
1 tbsp brown sugar
butter for greasing the pan
Let's bake these rolls!
- Heat the milk until is lukewarm, then stir in the sugar and yeast until dissolved. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl sift the flour and add a pinch of salt. When the yeast is activated, pour it into the bowl. Add 2 egg yolks to the batter and knead the batter with your hand for 8-10 minutes or knead it in a stand mixer for 4-5 minutes. Add more milk if necessary. The batter has to be smooth, pliable and doesn't stick to the bowl. Sift a little flour on top of the batter, cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rest for an hour in a warm place.
- While the batter is resting prepare the filling. mix together the butter with the sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and ground almond. Set aside.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and grease it lightly with butter.
- When the batter is doubled in size, transfer it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out to a 5 mm / 0.2in thickness.
- Spread the buttery filling evenly over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly, then cut into even slices.
- Transfer the slices into the prepared baking pan, leaving a little space between the rolls. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C | 356 ℉.
- Bake the rolls for 15 minutes, meanwhile prepare the glaze: heat the milk and stir in the brown sugar.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and pour one tablespoon hot milk on each of the rolls.
- Continue to bake for another 5-6 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
Note: The recipe and pictures are all mine!
Check out my other recipes!
- Almond Dark Chocolate Pear Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Cottage Cheese Filling
- Carrot Cake
- Blueberry Ricotta Cake
- Pear cake
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Plum dumplings
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting
Find me on social media!
Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram
Copyright © 2018 | Anna - My Zucchini Recipes