Seventeen days ago, I introduced the first ever Farmpunk fiction contest. Specifically, the contest called for flash fiction stories within the nascent farmpunk genre. Eight days later, nine days ago for those of you that suck at math, the winner was announced.
Welcome back to the second farmpunk fiction contest. This one, my friends, is going to be a doozie.
Original image from Pixabay.
For the second contest, we're going to alter the rules slightly, but first, for those who are not familiar with farmpunk, here are a couple of stories for you to read to familiarize yourself with the first farmpunk stories ever told.
And here's the winning entry from the previous farmpunk contest:
What are the features of farmpunk?
As a reminder for those of you who are returning, and a primer for those of you who are new to the genre, here are some general features of the new farmpunk genre of literature:
- Juxtaposes high technology with farming culture
- Explores dystopian themes
- Strong countercultural elements present
- Borrows from film noir and other punk genres, maybe even weird literature
- Set during any period where farming is/was/will be done
- May feature advanced future technologies or current technology in a more advanced way
- Could imagine alternative histories or anachronistic (out of place, out of time) technologies
- Can be retro, postmodern, or both
This is not by any means exhaustive. Writers are free to go in other directions and are encouraged to use their imaginations. Edgy lit will get you noticed, but it should be genuine and crafty storytelling.
The rules for the second farmpunk fiction contest are pretty straightforward. Here they are in full:
- Upvote and resteem this post
- Write a farmpunk story between 800 and 2,500 words (While this is a big range, longer isn't necessarily better. Your story should be complete with a beginning, middle, and end, feature interesting characters, juxtapose farming culture with high technology, and show a real conflict that must be resolved.)
- Post your story on your own Steemit blog
- Give your story the #farmpunk tag
- Place a link to your story in the comments below
I'm looking for at least three entries to give out one prize. The winner will receive their choice of an unopened Steem Monsters booster pack or 1 share of Steem Basic Income. If there are five or more entries, a second-place winner will receive the other prize (either a Steem Monsters booster pack or 1 share of Steem Basic Income, whichever the first place winner did not choose). I reserve the right to pick only one winner, or none if there are not enough entries.
If there are at least 10 entries, a third place winner may be chosen and will receive 1 STEEM.
The deadline for this contest is midnight EST one week from today. The winner(s) will be announced a day or two later. Happy writing!
Get your weird lit on:
| Limerents in the Bog | Garden of Eden | Sulfurings | Deluge |
| | | | |
| At Amazon | At Amazon | At Amazon | At Amazon |
Review Me, Please
While you're here, check out the backside 5 (my five latest posts):
- Poetry Sunday: 'If I May Take Thy Hand' (A Modified Sestina)
- Comedy Open Mic Round #28: My Adventures in Living in You-Toupee-Oh
- Crypto Digest: Liars, Outliers, and Hot Potato Stew
- Tell Me a Story Contest: Fenrir Awakes
- district0x: Creating a Network of Decentralized Markets
created and used by veterans
with permission from @guiltyparties