In our last post (among other things, such as the forthcoming Open Sourcing of the UA algorithm) we announced our plans for a @steem-ua Free Accounts Give-Away Service and asked for people to contact us on our Discord in case they either are themselves, or know people that are, unable to join Steem for a lack of funds. At @steem-ua, everything we do is about "getting in & keeping in" as many users on the Steem Blockchain as possible. And we do so, because we believe that the ultimate driver for Steem price & market cap is the amount of people actually using Steem.
A quick reminder, we incentivize "good behavior" on Steem, reasoning as follows:
- real accounts that follow your account, is - according to us at least - a good indicator of how influential you are on Steem,
- ergo: the more real users follow you, the higher your own UA Score & Rank,
- real humans will follow your account, when you do and keep on doing "interesting things",
- regularly posting "interesting content", which can be about anything, is assumed to contribute to your own following,
- regularly engaging with others - networking - also is expected to contribute to your own following,
- rewarding others, with upvotes that are worth a monetary value, is expected to contribute to your own following,
- powering up your own account to some extent, increases your own vote worth, which - again - is expected to contribute to your own following,
- by requiring delegations, in order to get upvoted by @steem-ua every now and then, this empowers @steem-ua and also has a positive effect on your own account (your votes are worth more, which is expected to increase your own UA),
- by requiring delegations in order to get upvotes, more Steem is vested and because of the 13-week Power-Down Period the liquid supply of Steem is therefore reduced temporarily because vested Steem cannot be immediately sold. Ergo the price & market cap of Steem is expected to increase because of that. (Of course ~ 326,000 delegated SP has little effect on Steem price, but every SP helps!),
- as we use batched upvote rounds, in which we compare each upvote-eligible post's UA score relatively to the other posts in the same batch, we stimulate every delegating author to always do their best, with publishing quality content, good user engagement via the comments, because higher UA Post Scores (computed via
UA_Vote = x * UA_Account + y * UA_Post_Votes + z * UA_Comments) - relatively to the other Posts - gets you a higher @steem-ua vote.
PS, honest disclaimer: do we ( @scipio & @holger80 ), have a commercial / self-interested motive for running @steem-ua? Of course we do: we earn curation rewards from it, our own personal accounts get more attention which increases our own UA scores and enables us to network with other interesting people and projects, and because of all attention & SP our own posts - on average - receive pretty good author rewards as well. And we think there's nothing wrong with that either, because developing & managing UA & @steem-ua does cost quite some time / effort and server costs as well.
Everything mentioned above on "incentivizing good behavior" deals with "currently active Steem users". We intend to continue doing that, but from now on we will also focus on Onboarding New Users to the Steem Blockchain. Hence, our "@steem-ua Free Accounts Give-Away Program".
Pilot Collaboration with @braaiboy
As always, a number of people contacted us on Discord over the past week. Among them this week was @braaiboy, who explained to me (@scipio) what he's doing himself and invited me to join forces with him.
In short: @braaiboy told me he lives in Pretoria, South-Africa, and that he regularly organizes barbecues, called "braai" in Afrikaans (one of the languages used in South Africa) - hence his own account name. He also told me he runs some food stands, located at events, and that he promotes the Steem Blockchain while in contact with lots of locals. On top of that, he told me he has 3 friends who have been trying to create their own account on Steem via steemit.com, but after weeks still were unsuccessful on that.
Further, @braaiboy told me (quote):
"while it's "only 6 STEEM" to create an account via existing methods ... 6 STEEM is only about 2 McDonald's meals, but ... parting with even 2 McDonald's meals seems like another bump in the road"
Ehm... think about that: even the thought of comparing the creation of 1 Steem account at the cost of 2 meals, is pretty sad, yet realistic in some parts of the world, like South-Africa (and Venezuela, large parts of Africa, etc.) If @steem-ua can help people by giving away free accounts to those who want & need it, and if only one of those people has a better chance to escape from poverty, by using the excess RC that since HF20 we can use to claim duscounted accounts, then that alone is worth a try ... !
Now, @braaiboy also told me it's not only about "fighting poverty" but he also believes in "Steem being cool": his intentions - as he told me - are to organize "Steem New User Onboarding & Coaching Workshops" on a regular basis, and even to sell his own Braais at a discount in case his customers decide to pay with Steem and/or SBDs! Well, this all sounds pretty good & convincing to me; of course I'm never 100% sure this is a legitimate plan & explanation, but heck: let's give this a try!
- we've created 3 new accounts today, supposedly intended for 3 of @braaiboy's friends, which are: @thearned, @baasdebeer, and @donsie ,
- I've handed over the ownership keys to @braaiboy ,
- he will explain how to use the newly created Steem accounts to their new owners,
- explain to them how to change their own private keys and keep them private / to themselves,
- after which he also will coach them to grow their account and hopefully earn some Steems,
- maybe even delegate to @steem-ua in case they earned enough to do so and have powered-up to get at least 1 @steem-ua upvote per week (would be cool: win-win here!),
- and sell his own Braai Food at a discount in case they pay with Steem / SBD (and/or are able to explain they at least use the Steem Blockchain)
Well, let's see how this new Pilot Collaboration works out! As agreed between @braaiboy and us, we'll begin small, learn from what happens in the process, and in case of a success & good procedures, scale up from there.
That's all for now Folks!
UA, Steem User Authority: Use Your Influence!
@steem-ua Algorithmic Curation & Upvote Program:
|SP Delegation||Sponsor Benefits & Upvote Frequency|
|25 SP||max. 1 @steem-ua upvote per week|
|50 SP||max. 2 @steem-ua upvotes per week|
|100 SP||max. 4 @steem-ua upvotes per week|
|250 SP||max. 7 @steem-ua upvotes per week|
|>= 5,000 SP||Stake-Based Sponsor Rewards + max. 7 @steem-ua upvotes per week|
PS1: delegation requirements could be subject to change, we'll then post about that prior to changes being applied.
PS2: @steem-ua reserves the right to reject upvoting accounts demonstrating abusive behavior.