SteemKitchen Contest #1 - Cheap and Cheerful - Chicken,Mushroom and Spinach Pie.
Growing up as a youngster I fondly remember my grandma making us chicken pie when we visited. I love to make this recipe as it keeps well in the freezer and I can make a nice big pie and then have some at a later stage when to busy to cook.
I cant believe chicken pie to be totally local in origin but it sure has become a local dish in many South African Homes.
Sadly I don't have my my grannies recipe but have found a method that works for me and can so easily be adapted to any taste or flavor.
After making and for the first time actual making the full calculation I was actually surprised at how reasonable the Portion Cost was
The whole meals cost came to $ 14.89 with 6 portions the Cost Per Meal came to $ 2.48.
Here in South Africa that is roughly R 37.00 Per portion in our local Currency.
Servings : 6
Preparation Time : 30 Min
Cooking time : 2 Hours
- 1 kg x Chicken
- 600 g x Mushrooms
- 2 x Large Onions
- 4 x Fresh Sweetcorn
- 1 x Green Sweet Pepper
- 400 g Fresh Veggies
- Leafy Spinach
- 1 x Egg
- 1 L x Chicken Stock
- 2 Packets x Cream of Chicken Soup
- Olive Oil
- Puff Pastry
Step By Step :
- Chop onions and Pepper and Fry with some Olive Oil in a pot until golden brown color
- While Frying the onions prepare chicken pieces and cut into Thumb Size pieces
- Add the Chicken to the onions when ready and give a good stir.
- Brown the chicken and add the mushrooms, veggies, spinach and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 min.
- Mix the soup powder with 3/4 of the water indicated and add to pot.
- Let simmer until you get a nice pie filling consistency.
- Dish out into Oven Dish. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Cover the filling with the pastry. Take a fork and prick randomly.
- Brush on some whisked egg.
- Place in oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the pastry is done, checking often until a golden brown color appears.
Serving Suggestion : Serve with some longrain rice and or a fresh garden salad.
I thoroughly enjoy making this dish and more so having it on the plate for a meal. Its real simple to prepare and goes a long way for a contract worker or bachelor away from home with only one pot and a oven dish required.
Until Next time....... May the Hunger Stay with You. (ps. I forgot my card ;( )
Click banner above to go to SteemKitchen's latest Contest Released this week. We are looking forward to a wonderful selection.