Warming Soup for Fall (Autumn) or Winter
A good way to utilise the bounty of warming vegetables from your late summer garden.
If you’re doing any dietary protocol that encourages bone broths, here is a tasty way to have your daily soup. This recipe is compatible with any whole food diet including Paleo, GAPS, SCD, and is gluten, grain and dairy free.
It’s not vegetarian, as the nourishment of the bone broth is one of the important healing benefits of it. But you could substitute homemade vegetable stock, if desired.
The photo is of the soup I made last weekend when I came down with a spring headcold. As I was using just what I had in the fridge, the vegetable used was butternut squash.
• 1 litre of chicken, duck or turkey stock (preferably homemade, from real bones)
• 2 or more cups chopped butternut squash (or other vegetables, see below) – more veges will make a thicker soup
• 1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon grated, fresh turmeric (optional)
• 4-8 tablespoons coconut cream or creamed coconut (coconut butter)
• juice of 1 lemon
• sea salt to taste
Step 1: Bring the stock to a boil and skim off any foam. Add the vegetables, ginger and turmeric and simmer for 10-15 minutes, till vegetables are soft.
Step 2: Turn off the heat, and stir in the creamed coconut till melted. Add the lemon juice and sea salt to taste.
Step 3: Blend with a handheld blender till smooth, season to taste and and serve. (If your stock is very flavoursome, you might not need much salt, so best to season at the end.)
• Butternut squash is just one option - it can be made with any kind of pumpkin or squash.
• Or use root vegetables such as carrots, parsnip, swede (rutabaga), and beetroot.
• Or mix and match in any combination. All of these vegetable are warming, nourishing and sustaining.
As a snack:
• Just a mugful, on it’s own
• With a thick slice of Cashew Bread (or other bread of your choice), maybe spread with avocado or cottage cheese
• As a starter or as a side dish
Thanks for reading.
Follow me for more nutrition, health, diet, food, lifestyle and recipe posts.
My other recipes on Steemit: Choc Blackcurrant Smoothie ~ Paleo Cottage Pie ~ Feijoa Pear Smoothie ~ Easy no-starch, dairy free Pumpkin & Cashew Bread ~ Tip for storing ginger & tumeric ~ Banana Cashew muffins
For more recipes and my 15 step Whole Food cooking course, see my recipe website.