You probably see the corruption, inefficiency, and violence in our system. Maybe you even see the many ways it is possible that human beings can work together to create voluntary systems and even effective rules without the need for a ruling class. Heck, humans created computers, pizza, and rocket ships!
You get it but what can you do?
So yay, I'm glad you "get it" philosophically and you may even see how Voluntaryism* can work (https://steemit.com/voluntaryism/@scottermonkey/law-without-government). So, it is reasonable for you to ask, "What can I do to help?"
*For the sake of ease and efficiency, I'm using "Voluntaryist" to include small "l" libertarians, big "L" Libertarians, Minarchists, Agorists, and Anarchists here because we all share the Non Aggression Principle (NAP).
Violence rarely leads to real lasting peace
It is a common misconception that Voluntaryists favor violent revolution. Actually, it is the opposite that is true. Most every Voluntaryist I've met realizes the path to a peaceful world is most likely obtainable via a peaceful path. Why build a peaceful world upon a foundation of violence?
How can we get there peacefully?
I look around at what my fellow Voluntaryists - and even people who don't label themselves that - are doing and I see us coming at the solution from many directions. I see each of these "ways" as intersections in a "safety net". As this net gets more dense, the need for government is reduced and the more ways people can transition more peacefully and easily from involuntary government to systems of voluntary governance. Here are some ways I see:
- Educate yourself. Read books or watch videos. Whatever it takes. Books have some advantages, including: (a) being a form of meditation, (b) increasing your patience, (c) exercising your brain, (d) increasing your reading comprehension, and (e) making you a better writer so you don't sound like a TapTard when you write. Here are some books and authors I recommend: Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. The Conscious Resistance by Derrick Broze. The Most Dangerous Superstition by Larken Rose and Freedom by Adam Kokesh are thin and packed with bang for the buck. And if you want to understand Voluntaryism on a deeper historical, philosophical, and economic level, read http://Mises.org, Bastiat, Hayek, and Rothbard.
- Peer-to-Peer sharing & trading. Use blockchain-based services like https://Steemit.com, Bitcoin, and EOS. The most easy way for US residents to get in is to get an account at https://Coinbase. Try the Exodus.io wallet for your computer. Use https://arcade.city, http://Lyft.com, and http://Uber.com instead of taxis. Use http://CouchSurfing.com for free lodging and sharing space. http://AirBnB.com for travel or hosting to supplement your income. http://Craigslist.com for local goods and services. My companies, http://OceanMedia.net and https://ClearSay.net, has built a mobile app version of the "Play to Evolve" card game below, and I can use your help to rebuild this as a decentralized app using the EOS system. Here it is: https://oceanmedia.net/portfolio-mobile. Disruptive technologies can reduce costs, increase efficiency, and create/preserve wealth.
- Empathy undermines coercion. Spread empathy using methods like Practical Empathy Tools and Nonviolent Communication (NVC) (https://ClearSay.net), and Circling (https://www.clearsay.net/circling.asp). Whether you do or don't see the value in more people being more empathetic, most agree that having strong communication skills is helpful for all interaction.
- Educate your children. State Education is a huge factor in teaching people to support authoritarianism and involuntary government. Solution: Private schools, Homeschooling, and Unschooling (https://ClearSay.net/unschooling.asp). Bonus: The Internet allows most people to teach themselves.
- Peaceful parenting (neither permissive or authoritarian parenting). Includes use of natural consequences. Creates peaceful, responsible, intrinsically motivated, compassionate, empathetic adults (https://steemit.com/parenting/@scottermonkey/how-often-do-children-really-need-to-be-told-what-to-do, https://steemit.com/parenting/@scottermonkey/tantrums-aren-t-what-you-think-they-are, https://steemit.com/parenting/@scottermonkey/punished-by-rewards, https://steemit.com/emotionalintelligence/@scottermonkey/is-your-positivity-causing-harm, https://steemit.com/parenting/@scottermonkey/parenting-the-sweet-spot-that-isn-t-permissive-or-authoritarian).
- Spread the word. Media & propaganda are powerful. Spread these ideas via films, animations, articles, conversations, and debates. There are an abundance of myths out there to be dispelled! Here is one: Myth: America has free market capitalism (https://ClearSay.net/myth-america-has-free-market.asp).
- Communicate with privacy. Deny snoopers from seeing/hearing/recording your texts, emails, and phone calls. Some apps I find useful include: Telegram (https://Telegram.org) is a free encrypted texting app that works on both iPhone and Android. It now has a "phone" feature. http://protonMail.ch is a free secure email service from Switzerland. You can even switch your DNS management from NSA lap dogs like Godaddy to http://easyDNS.com. Here's an important article to help understand why this is important, what apps to avoid, and what apps to use: https://steemit.com/facebook/@scottermonkey/why-using-facebook-messenger-hurts-us-all.
- Communicate censorship-free. https://Steemit.com is the most popular decentralized blockchain-based social media site that has no censorship and where you can get paid for your posts. AND... just announced and coming soon, from the creator of Steemit: Voice! Sign up now: https://voice.com/ And right now with YouTube and Fakebook amping up their censorship and general reduced friendliness toward Voluntaryists, I see the new crop of decentralized social media applications as having a huge amount of potential to be a haven for free expression. Find me on Steemit: https://steemit.com/@scottermonkey.
- Replace easily corruptible government watchdogs. Peer-to-Peer review/reputation apps like http://Yelp.com and http://ConsumerReports.com. Here we can even change the "punishment paradigm" toward restitution, rehabilitation, and in the worst cases, ostracization.
- Security. Private Security Organizations (PSOs) and Dispute Resolution Organizations (DROs) like you see detailed in the Law Without Government (
More Utopian media
Finally: I see some well done dystopian films that serve as warnings. Idiocracy, 1984, and Brave New World come to mind. What I'd like to see more of are films showing people from this world somehow transported into a Voluntaryist region, time, or world. It would be fun to see his reactions! We could go sci-fi with it where "transported" means dimensional or time travel OR we could go more realistic where some crypto-rich guy - Let's call him Roger - buys an island and helps to create a State-less society. Right now I'm thinking of a book called Ecotopia and a book/film called The Giver.
Here is a short video I made talking about the easiest way you can contribute via a shift in your own perception and communication, that, at the same time, personally benefits you: Change the world, step 1. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=KniGkPhoy5o).
How Practicing Empathy Supports Voluntaryism
This updated article was originally published on my NVC & Voluntaryism resource site at https://www.clearsay.net/how-do-we-get-there.asp AND an earlier version here on Steemit at https://steemit.com/voluntaryism/@scottermonkey/recipe-for-peaceful-revolution.