It's been already a week since the new promotion feature was added, so I thought I'd look at some of the early data and share it with you guys.
Here are some interesting numbers to keep in mind when thinking of promoting your next post:
- 1483 blogs were promoted using the @null account
- 1202 blogs were promoted with the same account as the one used to publish the article
- 711 unique users used the feature
- 10902.09 SBD was burned in the process
- The total payout of all promoted posts adds up to 77379.72 SBD
- Of all promoted posts, 44% had a higher total payout than the amount spent promoting it
- The top promoted post was this one made by @laonie and promoted by @laonie for 71 SBD and @ned for 200 SBD, for a total of 271 SBD.
At this point, the correlation between post payout and the amount used for promoting it is quite small, with an R^2 of 0.0211 (0.1451 correlation).
As expected, most people who promote their content only use small amounts. Here's the exact distribution:
The histogram below, shows that the majority of users who promote content lose from 50% to 100% of the SBD used to promote, but some end up making considerable profit on their investment (see N.B. below for clarification):
This last one shows the average absolute SBD gain or loss for different ranges of SBP spent promoting:
Clearly, not enough data exists for some of the extreme cases for them to be reliable. There's an interesting small jump in expected profit in spending between 2 and 5 SBD on promotion. Is this just noise, or is it an optimal promotion range for minnows?
- Profit here is based on the total SBD spent promoting, either if a different user paid for promotion.
- No analysis was done of the timing at which those posts were promoted. As far as this goes, someone promoting a post with potential payout of 1000 SBD for 1 SBD would appear as a 100 000% profit, so take it with a grain of salt.
- Only total payout was considered here, which includes curators.
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Leave them below to let me know.
Follow me @owdy for more of this stuff
For anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly on steemit.chat