Today's breakfast recipe is a Millet Porridge!
- 1/2 cup of millet finger flour
- 1cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of raw coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of dates
- 1 banana
- 1 Teaspoon of maple syrup
In The Making
- In a saucepan place millet, nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper and mix.
- Add water, bring it to boil then let it simmer and keep stirring until cooked.
- Add the two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- In iron cast pan, cook sliced banana in salt and maple.
- Add the blueberries and cook until soft.
- Top the porridge with the cooked fruit.
A little more about Water element...
Kidneys are yin, the feminine energy.. This means they are constantly functioning on a subtle level, without us being aware of it. They are the organs responsible for processing the water in our body, where nutrients are absorbed and the waste is flushed out to the bladder.
The kidneys hold the vital essence of the whole body that we get from our parents, and the emotions associated with them is fear, if someone is anxious, worried or fearful it is a strong indication that the water element is out of balance.
Chinese medicine affirms that all disease is internally generated. What creates internal imbalances is toxic emotions or toxic thinking. It is believed that QI, life force, follows thoughts. Emotions propel our thoughts, so intense emotions make thoughts really powerful. Qi is the bridge between thought and emotion. Physically, if our thoughts or feelings prevents Qi from flowing where it has to go, the organs' functions become weak.
In our very busy modern lives, it can be hard to bring full awareness daily, so sometimes most of us have no idea what is happening within and a very good way to start developing the averseness is to connect to your pulse. Checking our pulse is a very effective and quick way to become aware of how balanced our elements are.
- Superficial / floating pulse: Is where you can feel metal imbalances.
- Middle pulse: Is where you can feel earth imbalances
- Deep pulse: Is where you can feel water imbalances.
From my own experience, I totally agree with this holistic view point. It is very important to become one within yourself to prevent ailments and disease. Realising stress, tension and conflict is a must to bring water element to balance. Try these methods:
- Self scanning your body daily by bringing awareness to each part of the body, is a great exercise to become aware of where in the body tension and emotion is held.
- Acknowledging what thoughts and emotions are predominant, through journaling, meditation, yoga.
- Self massage to realise tension, toxins, emotions from deep tissue. It is very grounding practice.
- Appropriate physical movement to your body type and constitution. Such as yoga or tai chi, swimming, etc.
Revealing the root of the imbalance is the first step to a cure, and diet plays a huge role. A clear, calm, still mind is the ultimate step where Qi is able to flow without restraints through your whole body. Food is medicine, and the still mind keeps the body optimally functioning and in balance!
(All photos taken by me)