JACKFRUIT STEW 🎄🍲🎄
Hello my Dearest Foodies,
Today I have for you very tasty and comforting stew to warm up your bellies. I know not all of you are living in the same climate with winter season like I do, nevertheless, I am sure you can enjoy it doesn't matter where you are.
Anyway, JACKFRUIT is an amazing fruit that getting it's popularity by the minute, especially among vegans. They are number of reasons why, which of course the HEALTH BENEFITS and MEAT SUBSTITUE OPTION are on top of the list. This green giant with pricks and yellow flesh can not only be eaten raw, but prepared in many ways in all recipes whether desserts or savory.
However, since I live in Canada, finding this fruit is not that easy. There for, when I spotted Jackfruit in the box by UPTON'S NATURALS in Walmart's produce section, right next tofu and other vegan products. What I most liked about this product, was that they are offering totally natural Jackfruit chunks, without anything added. Although, they have many choices with seasoning and sauces, but I prefer to make my own.
At this time I decided to make a stew and it turned out absolutely delicious. I will be experimenting more with this product more in the future for sure and I hope you try it too.
I wish you a wonderful week 🎄😍🎄
Jackfruit Stew with Chickpeas and Root Vegetables
Vegan – Gluten Free
INGREDIENTS for 6 servings
• Jackfruit 2 cups diced (600gr 2 packs of Upton's Naturals)
• Canned chickpeas 2 cups 500ml (rinsed)
• Red bell pepper 2 (cleaned and diced)
• Onion 1 large (diced)
• Garlic 6 cloves (minced)
• 4 Carrots (cleaned and cut to your desirable shapes)
• 2 Parsnips (cleaned and cut to your desirable shapes)
• Potatoes 4 medium size (cleaned and cubed)
• Low sodium Tamari 2tbs
• Cumin powder 2tbs
• Garlick powder 2tsp
• Bay leaves 2
• Red paprika powder 3tbs
• Organic yellow mustard 1tbs (or mustard of your choice)
• Black pepper to taste
• Red chilli pepper flakes to taste
• Dry Marjoram 2tbs (optional)
• Himalayan pink salt to taste
• Grape seed oil 2-3tbs (or oil of your choice)
• Organic low sodium vegetable broth 2cups (you may add more if needed)
• Rinse the jackfruit well under and cut into equal pieces.
• In large pot, bring veggie broth to boil and add root veggies (carrot, parsnip & potatoes). Add salt with pepper and bay leaf.
• Bring to boil again. Reduce the heat and let it simmer under the lid for 30 to 40min.
• In the meantime, sauté onion on heated oil for few seconds, add garlic sauté until translucent.
• Add cumin powder and stir thoroughly, add red paprika powder, red chili pepper flakes and stir again. Add bell pepper, stir thoroughly, reduce the heat and cover with lid. Let simmer for 5min.
• When ready, add jackfruit with tamari, mustard and marjoram and stir thoroughly. You may turn the heat higher for a minute or two while stirring.
• Reduce the heat, cover with lid and let it simmer for 5minutes.
• When ready, mix the jackfruit blend with root vegetables in the pot and add chickpeas.
• Stir thoroughly and adjust the flavour if needed.
This stew is better the next day.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING & BON APPETIT
FOR RECIPES PLEASE VISIT MY Lena's Vegan Living Blog