“WikiLeaks is a giant library of the world’s most persecuted documents. We give asylum to these documents, we analyze them, we promote them and we obtain more.”
- Julian Assange
- The Wikileaks archive contains well over 10 million documents
- Wikileaks Docs have been cited in over 28,000 academic papers and US court filings
Participants are able to select their own topic for research depending on individual interest. Broad categories from international politics, the economy, war, military, corporations, trade, intelligence, etc. offer endless possibilities. Use the custom search feature to sharpen your focus.
Always Exercise Caution
When engaging in research of government websites, intelligence agencies and whistleblower sites, such as Wikileaks, we strongly urge you to take all necessary precautions.
We don’t want people ending up on some government watch lists for participating in this type of research.
Please take time to think about this.
This type of research may not be for you.
Having said that, we’ve learned from the Wikileaks Vault 7 leaks that the vast majority of our online activity is being monitored with the use of a myriad of hacking tools.
Corporate entities such as FB, Google and Amazon are also tracking our activity, monitoring our conversations and mining our personal information without our consent.
One could easily come to the simple conclusion – Fuck it!
I’m being surveilled anyways might as well be reading the kind of information they don’t want us seeing.
Still, let’s not make things easy for them.
The suggestions below are precautionary measures.
Deep Dives does not endorse nor guarantee the effectiveness of ANY privacy tools.
It is up to each individual to determine how to best protect themselves.
Consider using the TOR browser for searching websites (note: some suggest TOR is compromised)
A new alternative to TOR
Consider using I2P The Invisible Project
Consider using a VPN, preferably a paid version outside of US jurisdiction
Consider using a VPN in combination with other privacy tools
Consider using protonmail.com (protonvpn is also available)
BE CAREFUL if you download ANY files (take screen shots or copy and paste)
Consider using sandbox isolation application
Look for VPNs that are headquartered in countries with strong privacy laws (ex: Switzerland).
We recommend that you take the time to properly explore available privacy tools and VPNs.
The Wikileaks Archive
This edition of Deep Dives is wide open and really up to you what you choose to investigate and how you put your posts together. Just be sure to read the Challenge description and the Rules below.
- Search the Wikileaks archive at wikileaks.org
- Find an overlooked, underrated, underreported or obscure leak/ email/ cable/document/ court filing on a topic that interests you.
- Build a post around your findings
- Provide additional sources to make your case and strengthen your position
- Explain the significance of the leak and why it’s an important piece of news that should be communicated to the public.
As mentioned in the Deep Dives introductory post the first edition will be quite broad and up to the individual to find a point of focus.
If you’re having trouble finding a focus, begin with a person, country or topic of interest such as; Clinton / Netanyahu / Gaddafi / Saudi Arabia / China / Chemical Weapons / Free Trade / Trafficking / etc.
You never know what will turn up.
- Help spread the word, resteem this post
- Limited to 1 contest entry per account
- Submissions must be made in a separate post (not in the comments)
- Submissions must be posted before the deadline (UTC - 14:00 Monday, May 21st, 2018)
- Use the lead tag “deepdives”
- Your entry must include references to a document/documents found in the Wikileaks archive
- Provide a link to the specific document or page
- Make an attempt to keep your post concise and to the point
- You may leave a link to your entry in the comments below
- Please, do not plagiarize the work of others
Note: Longer entries with multiple links and references does not necessarily equate with higher quality. Clear and concise work with a handful of supporting sources is preferable.
The Winning Post Should
Meet the rules criteria
Winners will be announced 48hrs after submission deadline
Original Content (not widely reported on in the media)
Significance should be clearly articulated
3 Outstanding contributions will be acknowledged
• Liquid SBD earned by the original contest post will make up the total rewards
o Example: 100 SBD – 1st place = 50% // 2nd = 30% // 3rd = 20%
• Bonus @v4vapid & @ausbitbank upvotes and resteems for exceptional and/or original contributions
• SP earned from challenge announcements and the winner’s announcements will go to the community account (@deepdives)
Those that do not ‘win’ should not view their work and efforts as being wasted. All submissions are valuable and will be contributing to building a body of research on the blockchain. We hope that contributors support each other’s efforts wherever possible whether by sharing tips, links or through constructive feedback to their fellow researchers.
Good luck and happy digging!
Deep Dives Community
Deep Dives Mission
- Promote original content
- Promote investigative journalism
- Promote focused and quality research
- Encourage community engagement
- Encourage collaboration and teamwork
- Recognize and reward high quality original content
As mentioned in the introductory post, future research initiatives will be more focused on specific themes, archives and sub-archives.
Our hope is that eventually research projects will be community driven.
Have your say, and let us know what topics you feel would be worthwhile for future Deep Dives research!
Deep Dives is a work in progress any suggestions, feedback and input from you is greatly appreciated.
Join us on Discord at the Writer's Block - https://discord.gg/zjnMh6
Tell the Writers' Block hosts in Welcome Center that you're there for The Big Dig channel, and they will give you a role that creates instant access.
Be aware that the Big Dig is fresh as can be and will need a bit of time before it gets rolling ;)