Tasty Thursday: Sashimi
What did I have?
I had raw fish for my main entree.
(Okay, okay... I get it! Not all of you eat raw fish.)
The fish was so fresh, delectable, sweet, buttery, tasty, and yummy!!!
There were many sides dishes available, and I choose Edamame, Wakame Seaweed Salad and Chuka Kurage (Seasoned Jellyfish).
I had Miso Soup and Hamachi Kama for appetizer. Hamachi Kama is grilled collar of the Yellowtail fish until the skin is crisp and the inside is just cooked through.
Sashimi (刺身) is thinly sliced, raw food. It is one of the most famous dishes in the Japanese cuisine. Seafood is most commonly eaten as sashimi, but other types of meats (such as beef, horse and deer) and foods (such as yuba tofu skin and konnyaku) can also be served as sashimi.
For my entree... a plate of Sashimi with double servings of fresh raw slices of Sake (Tuna) and Hamachi (Yellow Tail), and Shime Saba (Makarel).
I think that Sashimi is incredibly beautiful food, with a remarkable variation in fish meat color: orange, pink, red, and white. It is a rainbow of fish!
Fresh raw fish is an ingredient in popular dishes worldwide like Sashimi, Sushi and many others such as:
- Poke- A Hawaiian salad traditionally made with chunks of raw fish that are seasoned and mixed with vegetables.
- Ceviche- A popular seafood dish in Latin America, typically consists of raw fish or shrimps lightly marinated in lemon or lime juice.
- Koi pla- A Southeast Asian dish made from finely chopped raw fish mixed with lime juice and seasoned with various other ingredients like garlic, chilis, herbs and fish sauce.
- Gravlax- A Nordic dish made from of raw salmon that is cured in sugar, sal,t and dill and traditionally eaten with mustard sauce.
- Soused herring- A dish common in the Nertherlands, maatjesharing or marinated raw herring.
- Carpaccio- A common dish in Italy consisting of finely sliced or pounded raw beef and other types of raw meat or fish.
- Kelaguen- A Chamorro dish from the Mariana Islands made from raw shrimp or fish or beef meat or liver, or cooked chicken, in a pickling marinade of lemon juice, fresh coconut, green onions, salt and spicy hot peppers.
- Kilawen- a raw seafood dish native to the Philippines made from raw shrimp or fish marinated vinegar, calamansi, onion, ginger, salt, siling labuyo, black pepper.
- Umai- A traditional native dish in Malaysia of sliced raw fish with a mixture of onions, chillies, salt and lime juice.
- Esqueixada- A traditional Catalan dish made of shredded salt cod, tomatoes, onions, olive oil and vinegar, salt, and sometimes a garnish of olives or hard-boiled eggs.
Do you know of other dishes using raw meat or fish?
Thank you for viewing this article. I will see you again soon!
@silversaver888 is a proud member of #steemsilvergold
The Silver Saver Channel Bar, ltd. ed.
1 troy ounce, .999 fine silver, hand poured by MK Barz
available from MK Barz and Bullion, click the link here. Use discount code: SSA10 to get a 10% discount for the Silver Saver Channel Bar.
Thanks for your support!
Thank you to the silver savers of steemit who have added the hand-poured Silver Saver Bar to their collection and stack. Do you have a Silver Saver Bar? Please let me know if you do the comment section below.