In Steem Secret #9, discover a desktop wallet for our Steem blockchain named Vessel created by witness @jesta which helps a lot with Steem Power delegation, storing private keys and making transactions all without the need to use steemit.com! View the Vessel wallet at https://github.com/aaroncox/vessel and read this post to learn more!
Current version 0.0.6-h
Newest release files on Github https://github.com/aaroncox/vessel/releases
Official Release and Updates by @jesta
- Easy Steem Power delegation removal which was the main purpose I downloaded it for after finding the wallet in a Google search for "remove Steem Power delegation." Using Vessel is the easiest way I know of to delete a Steem Power delegation or make a new one fast without having to use anything else. More posts about Steem Power delegation soon because now with this wallet we can see how to do it easily!
- Local encryption with a password combined with the ability to import the active key. Now I have my wallet easily available without having to use steemit.com and it is encrypted for security on my computer. With active key access, I can do everything necessary in the wallet without fear of losing access to my account.
- Easy send to an exchange with stored memo keys. Bittrex uses the same memo every time which then eliminates the need to copy and paste it with this wallet when withdrawing Steem. Warning: if they change the memo without a double check prior to sending, this might cause a loss of the Steem or SBD sent. So far my transactions have all been on the same memo.
Screenshots and Tutorial
How to get started using the Vessel desktop wallet for the Steem blockchain today?
- Use a download link above and get the wallet installed on the computer. On mac, click past the warning for best results.
- Grab the private active and posting keys from https://steemit.com/@jerrybanfield/transfers by switching our your username for mine.
- Choose a strong local password to encrypt the wallet and safe it in a safe place such as a password manager such as https://www.lastpass.com/
Here are the screenshots for mac loading up the wallet!
Picture one shows after opening the .dmg file to drag it into applications for easy access.
Click past this warning on Mac.
New wallet open screen. Click IMPORT PRIVATE KEY. Do not use the owner key which is the master password anywhere online for security!
See the import key screen here to both enter the active key and encrypt the wallet with a password.
After a successful import, this screen comes up!
See account balances on the overview tab.
Set a Witness Proxy!
Want to delegate Steem Power, remove a Steem Power delegation, or set a witness proxy? All of these options are under the accounts screen.
To set a witness proxy, use the witness proxy tab in the Vessel wallet or go to https://steemit.com/~witnesses. Witness votes are the most important votes we make on Steem because witness votes determine which users are paid as much as 250 Steem Power A DAY in rewards for maintaining the blockchain via Ubuntu Linux servers, witness updates, and community contributions.
The easiest way to fully participate in witness voting is to set a proxy. A witness proxy allows another user to handle all witness voting and is the best way to make all witness votes with the least amount of effort. I am grateful today about 100 users trust me as a witness proxy on 199M VESTS of votes which is the equivalent of about 100,000 Steem Power because I put a lot of thought, research, and energy into each of my witness votes with generally checking them every day or at a minimum once a week.
If you have not made any witness votes yet or are not interested in maintaining votes every week, would you please set jerrybanfield or another user you trust as a proxy to make all witness votes for you because these witness votes are the most important votes any of us make?
Here is how to use the Vessel wallet to set a proxy. First, click on the proxy tab.
Finish the process by typing the exact name of the proxy in and hitting set proxy. The proxy can be removed or changed at any time.
Steem Power Delegation
Delegating Steem Power allows us to give our voting power to another user which is ideal for lending voting power in exchange for a Steem payment as seen at https://www.minnowbooster.net/market or to just give a friend or trusted curator our Steem Power if we are not using it. Without the Vessel wallet, managing Steem Power delegation is challenging especially when it comes to figuring out how to take the Steem Power we loaned out back. Vessel makes this really easy as seen below!
To begin, click on the SP Delegation tab!
Each Steem account we add here shows the total vesting balance along with the delegations made. Making a new delegation is as easy as clicking the plus side, entering the account we want to delegate to, and then clicking broadcast transaction! For example, if I wanted to delegate my wife @laurabanfield all my remaining voting power, I could do it like this.
To remove Steem Power delegations, we go back to the SP Delegation menu and review the amount of vests we have delegated.
We then click on the trash can symbol to remove the delegation.
Once we have broadcast the transaction, then it takes 7 days for our Steem Power to come back to us! This is ideal for removing any delegations after the term has expired on https://www.minnowbooster.net/market which is part of the @minnowbooster project led by witness @reggaemuffin as a part of the @buildteam with witness and CEO @thecryptodrive.
I appreciate you reading this post and hope you found it helpful! I am grateful @jesta created this wallet which has been fantastically helpful for me today in removing a Steem Power delegation along with creating https://steemdb.com/ which I use almost every day also!
If you would like me to continue doing more posts like this, would you please upvote this post because the rewards empower me to do Steem full time here with you?
PS: Witness votes are the most important votes we make on Steem because one vote for a witness lasts indefinitely! Would you please make a vote for jerrybanfield as a witness or set jerrybanfield as a proxy to handle all witness votes at https://steemit.com/~witnesses because when we make our votes, we feel in control of our future together? Thank you to the 798 accounts voting for me as a witness, the 198.4M VESTS assigned from users trusting me to make all witness votes by setting me as proxy, and @followbtcnews for making these .gif images!