Steemit Home Page Redesign Part V
Personalization: Refine, Edit, Tabs vs Sorts, - Polish and move on!
Once again its your Steemit Community Neighborhood Yeti, coming in with the new scoop for Steemit Home Page Redesign Part V.
5th and Final Wireframe Design Prior to Mock Up!
Kudos Community! Way to Go! We’ve crossed the trenches and have moved forward to a final polish stage in our ideation / discovery phases in wireframe format. We collectively have added a few adjustments for clean up.
In our fourth pitch we discussed how to fine tune personalization of tabs and the interaction and mechanics of how the tabs work as well as how tags behave. We identified that we specifically wanted ways to get to content faster based on the need we wanted. Topics specific to favoriting tags and followers was the main focal point. Clean up the Content space, refine the UI for a lean and modern feel.
In the third pitch we focused on tailoring the UI to the user focusing on personalization for top tags and for top followers you want to follow. After much exploration, comments and revisions, I gave a stab at trying to meet the demands of the user, but with all design process, its an iterative process and ultimately felt the design I had was too clunky and too much or a learning curve so I let the design go, and refined it even further in "Redesign IV" below without losing the functionality.
In the second pitch more concerns gravitated towards the logged in user, as a returning user and how to best make the page more usable for me once I’ve logged in. Many pain points surrounded the conflict between my “landing home page” vs “my blog page”. Trying to dive deeper here into more usable feature sets that gravitate to user intuitiveness and ease of use as well as allow the platform to be more aware of what I want, when I want and how I want to see it.
In the first pitch we addressed pain points and other misleading onboarding things for new users and how they get lost. We iterated, commented, notes were taken and written down and we started this ongoing phase of iterations.
Home Page Redesign 5
Construction Zone! - Fine tuning the UI, Home Page Tabs vs My Blog Sorts, Polish up!
Comments from iteration 4 and final revise.
- Add a save for later tab or function that allows me to save posts I’d like to read and comment to later.
- Simplify the tags, and create an easier interaction
- Can we create tags with a popularity tag to them. Roll over, %age, bar, icon, something that allows users to know whats more popular then just a general (whats popular) I think an icon that shows whats hot might work here effectively. I think as we add more specifics we clutter the UI. it could work as a plugin, or a rollover, overlay but I think an icon might do what is needed, with the least clutter.
Then a bunch of comments around “My Blog” surfaced that needed to be captured.
- Still want features like Voting Power, Vote Value, Rep , Band Width, Incoming Rewards etc. This will be seen in my next post for “my blog”
- Review Reddit’s (RES) Plugin
- Review Steem Supply
- Separate Resteems and My posts apart into 2 tabs for content. I am assuming this is specific to what “I” would see on my blog. Not if I accessed your blog. It would make sense though to see a sort for me. This will be seen in my next post for “my blog”.
- Allow for me to add tags that aren’t a part of the list that are in the tags widget. for now I know that is a beck end strategy that requires the search and metatags to work. For now the most common tags are the options. Great note though. That’s why were creating this series to get voices heard.
- Can we create a way to sort content by favorite followers and by favorite tags. Can I see sorting by vote and by comment?
These were the new items in review from the last post.
Now lets show off the adjustments to the new build below.
Logged Out - New User Home
Persona: I am a new user accessing Steemit.com for the first time.
Logged In - Returning User Home
Persona: I am a returning user and see additional personalization that is catered to my interests.
Top Navigation Rework
I had to rework the top navigation tabs to accommodate for a few more features to make the content more personalized and improve the engagement for the user.
There was a LOT of discussion about personalizing content. How to compare to Reddit, how to best personalize the content to what I want most. After much discussion with the community I have created a system that will build well with the tabs above. Each tab will have a sort associated with it similar to the reddit filterline. Many pain points were circled around the "my blog" section which will be the next topic i will be redesigning for the community. I also added an icon that is dynamic to a back end algorithm that allows the user to know which tags are trending more than just a general "most popular". Overall looking forward to the visual aesthetic design and this will be a wrap for the design on the home page.
This concludes my design and discovery phase of the Home Page Redesign, Stay tuned for a post of the final visual design coming in a week. Are there ANY designers out there willing to help me with the final visual design and once we have it complete I will have it posted for everyone to comment and see. I'll split the post value with you.
I will be moving onto the "My Blog” Page next.
- How to favorite a follower
- How to choose between sorting by all followers favorited, by comment, or by vote
- How to view my analytics of my Voting Power, Vote Value, Rep , Band Width, Incoming Rewards
- What does my profile page look like when I'm Viewing it.
- What does my profile page look like when another user is looking at it
- Inserting Notifications and where
- Stats about other users in the content feed
- How to display content in “my blog” and how can I sort the content as a logged in user.
Comments from so many Steemians that deserve credit here again, thanks for your assistance. It’s you that use the UI and you are the voice that allows me to help shape this community, and empower my creative energies to work hard and into the nights on rebuilding these pitch proposals.
@aggroed, @themarkymark, @velimir, @fredrikaa, @fulltimegeek, @brandonp, @geofftk, @fourfourfun, @dlew, @venalbe, @grizgal, @shawnvanderveer, @dedicatedguy, @datascience, @mitneb, @edicted, @jlordc, @arcange, @spiritualmax, @makerhacks, @isnochys, @dlew, @mikesthoughts, @rock220, @daan, @davidshaw, @rawdawg, @yogajill, @mcblessing1, @patrice, @princessmewmew, @kerlund74, @yabapmatt, @ma1neevent, @poeticsnake @shadowspub, @folken, @whatsup, @kubbyelizabeth, @freedomexists, @shawnvanderveer, @bbrewer, @kurtgrey, @swolesome, @flemmy, @reewy, @leonard17, @syednur47, @amisteem, @memocorredor, @outtheshellvlog, @moreseke1, @travissilvers699, @artizm, @mafi001, @queenbee12, @blusky, @jerrybanfield, @gomovies, @theversatileguy, @theb0red1, @thecryptogold, @strangevision, @atmosblack, @drmake, @tattoodjay, @futurethinker, @rondak, @ashleykalila, @jpederson96, @therealwolf, @thebugiq, @minatubo, @el-cr, @thewayiseeit, @princessdharmy, @crystalpacheco30, @aleksandar.vasic, @gcamkerten, @cryptical, @itinerantartist, @libertyranger, @mikesthoughts, @dedicatedguy, @theversatileguy,
Your comments, criticism, pain points, and praise help drive successful change.
Thank you. Don’t forget to leave your comments below, and upvote if you liked the design work and the direction.
To the corporate steemit team @ned @pkattera @andrarchy @sneak I would love for you to review my series and in depth exploratory UX research, testing, and revisions and to upvote, resteem, comment as well. All of it helps. You can reach me on discord directly at the link below
If you liked what you read, Please don't forget to Upvote, Resteem, and follow me. There's much more great design work to come.
@theUXyeti - Geek of all Trades, Master of Many! Had over 200 clients building UI for websites, mobile apps, mobile games, console games, VR/AR games, wearables, Appliance UI, Aerospace and Military UI. For lifetime fun I’ve been an Ex reality tv guy, competitive card player both protour MTG and WSOP, scuba instructor, dart thrower, hearthstone mechanic exploiter, sports handicapper, movie metaphor gif commentor and all around humorous and fast wit jackass.
How to find me
Discord: TheUXyeti or TheUXyeti#5698
Dtube Channel: https://d.tube/#!/c/theuxyeti