This is the story of a major shift in Saudi Arabian policy abroad. I think.
The purge that took place last week has to be seen through the viewpoint of it's geopolitical ramifications. Saudi Arabia is doubling-down on it's "shadow" war with Iran, this time in a more public way. From blaming a missile strike from Yemen on Iran, or actively working with the Israelis to isolate Hezbollah in Lebanon (to cripple Iran).
The Saudi regime dates back to WWI, when the house was one of many clans that worked with the British is its fight against the Turks. Later on, FDR made a deal a the end of WWII to protect the Saudi Royal Family if the US had access to Saudi oil. This deal stands to this day.
The Crown Prince selected the "corruption" purge with a purpose. Beginning at a meeting in 2014, elements of the Royal Family planned to oust the current king, King Abdullah. At that meeting, Prince Bandar was relieved of his duties. This might not have been evident at the time, but this was the start of the Saudis separating even more from the radical, Islamist elements of the family. Prince Bandar was shown to have helped fund the 9/11 hijackers, and has been known as one of the links between the royal family and the jihadists they fund outside of The Kingdom.
The plan was for a power-sharing to take place between three power groups:
- King Salman & Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman
King Salman took over after the death of King Abdullah. Earlier this year, the crown prince, Prince Nayef, was replaced by King Salman's favorite son, Mohammed Bin Salman. Recently, King Salman created an "anti-corruption" committee and placed his son in charge. This purge is a result of this committee, with the Crown Prince focusing on the family of former King Abdullah and the former Crown Prince.
- Prince Nayef
The previous Crown Prince, Prince Nayef and his son have become targets by Mohammed Bin Salman (MBS).
- Prince Miteb
Prince Miteb is the favorite son of King Abdullah. The head of the National Guard, he is supported by the ultra-conservative, old guard of the family. The National Guard in Saudi Arabia is seen as a "parallel" force to the military. To some, the military is seen as a puppet force of the US puppet regime. This is the same element that supports Al Qeada and pushes Wahhabism. The National Guard itself was created by the fonder of the House of Saad. The original members were former tribal warriors or "Mujahedeen".
Prince Miteb has been arrested in the current purge.
Outside of the "power-sharing" agreement that went to hell, another name you will see in the coverage is Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal. Bin Talal has major stockholdings in Twitter, Lyft, Citi, 4 Seasons and previously Newscorp. He has been arrested along with other members of the media.
The Crown Prince has had the bank accounts of the arrested frozen, private jets grounded, and in some cases physically assaulted. There has been two dead princes since the purge, one in a helicopter crash, another in a fire-fight.
Bin Salman has been busy outside of the Saudi Arabia also. His recent visit to Israel helped plan the recent breakdown of politics in Lebanon. The Prime Minister there stepped down live from Riyadh, stating that Hezbollah has taken over the country and "declared war on Saudi Arabia". The president of Lebanon is seen has in Hezbollah's pocket, so things in Lebanon will escalate.
The Prince also has been in charge of the war in Yemen, and his US overlords have made it clear that they want Iran isolated. This moves in Lebanon by Saudi & Israel and the double-down in Yemen are the two moves to keep in mind moving forward. The second part of this new policy is the attempt to marginalize the extremist elements within the family and the habit of funding terrorist groups. This was most likely asked of the new Crown Prince by Trump and Tel Aviv.
The upcoming tension in Lebanon and the blowback of any policy to crackdown on Wahhabism locally should be the story readers (and listeners) follow in the months ahead.
- After "Declaration Of War", Yemen Rebels Threaten Attacks On Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Banks Begin Freezing Accounts Of Arrested Royals, Private Jets Grounded
- Trump Endorses Saudi Crackdown to ‘Neutralize Iran’
- "Explosive" Leaked Secret Israeli Cable Confirms Israeli-Saudi Coordination To Provoke War
- On The Verge Of Catastrophe: Saudi Arabia Says Lebanon Declared War
- Pepe Escobar: The Inside Story Of The Saudi Night Of The Long Knives
- Saudi Purge Goes Nuclear: Over 1,200 Bank Accounts Frozen
- Billionaire prince detained in Saudi corruption probe
- Win for Hezbollah as Saudi-backed Lebanese premier resigns
- Saudi Arabia’s Prince Miteb once seen as throne contender
- Saudi Arabia Orders Its Citizens To Leave Lebanon Immediately
- Saudi Arabia Intercepts Yemeni Ballistic Missile Over Riyadh
- The night of the long knives in Saudi Arabia
- SAUDI PRINCE AND 7 OTHERS DEAD AFTER HELICOPTER CRASH
- Second Saudi Prince Confirmed Killed During Crackdown