안녕하세요. 스토리 텔러 Haritson, @c1h입니다.
시사 이슈 영어로 말하기 <시슈영>의 세번째 스토리로 찾아왔습니다.
얼마 전 남북 정상회담이 있었습니다. 남북 정상간의 만남이 대한민국에서 이뤄진 것이 최초이며, 미사일을 연달아 쏘아가며 위협했던 작년을 생각하면 정말 뜻깊은 순간이 아닐까 생각합니다. 특히나 문재인 대통령과 김정은 위원장이 판문점 경계선을 사이에 두고 악수하는 모습은 정말 감동이었습니다. 정말 역사로 남을 장면이라 생각합니다.
훈훈했던 분위기와 함께 회담 결과도 긍정적으로 보입니다. 앞으로 이 분위기를 계속 이어가면서 공동 선언문의 약속도 잘 이행 되었으면 합니다. 더불어 양국 간에 깊게 패인 과거의 불신과 증오도 씻겨 내려 갔으면 합니다.
남북정상회담 홈페이지에 판문점 선언문 전문이 올라왔으며, 영어 버전도 확인할 수 있었습니다. 비공식 번역이라고 나와있긴 하지만 그래도 홈페이지에 있으니 참고해도 좋다고 생각합니다. 외교 문서에는 굉장히 문어체적인 표현들과 포멀한 단어들이 많을 것이라 기대됩니다. 아래 영어 버전 전문을 소개하고 단어들을 살펴보도록 하겠습니다! (포스팅 길이가 너무 길어져서 한글 버전은 링크 첨부만 했습니다..)
<시슈영>의 세 번째 시사이슈는 판문점 선언문입니다.
<시슈영> #3 Panmunjeom Declaration.
During this momentous period of historical transformation on the Korean Peninsula, reflecting the enduring aspiration of the Korean people for peace, prosperity and unification, President Moon Jae-in of the Republic of Korea and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea held an Inter-Korean Summit Meeting at the ‘Peace House’ at Panmunjeom on April 27, 2018.
The two leaders solemnly declared before the 80 million Korean people and the whole world that there will be no more war on the Korean Peninsula and thus a new era of peace has begun.
The two leaders, sharing the firm commitment to bring a swift end to the Cold War relic of longstanding division and confrontation, to boldly approach a new era of national reconciliation, peace and prosperity, and to improve and cultivate inter-Korean relations in a more active manner, declared at this historic site of Panmunjeom as follows :
- South and North Korea will reconnect the blood relations of the people and bring forward the future of co-prosperity and unification led by Koreans by facilitating comprehensive and groundbreaking advancement in inter-Korean relations. Improving and cultivating inter-Korean relations is the prevalent desire of the whole nation and the urgent calling of the times that cannot be held back any further.
① South and North Korea affirmed the principle of determining the destiny of the Korean nation on their own accord and agreed to bring forth the watershed moment for the improvement of inter-Korean relations by fully implementing all existing agreements and declarations adopted between the two sides thus far.
② South and North Korea agreed to hold dialogue and negotiations in various fields including at high level, and to take active measures for the implementation of the agreements reached at the Summit.
③ South and North Korea agreed to establish a joint liaison office with resident representatives of both sides in the Gaeseong region in order to facilitate close consultation between the authorities as well as smooth exchanges and cooperation between the peoples.
④ South and North Korea agreed to encourage more active cooperation, exchanges, visits and contacts at all levels in order to rejuvenate the sense of national reconciliation and unity. Between South and North, the two sides will encourage the atmosphere of amity and cooperation by actively staging various joint events on the dates that hold special meaning for both South and North Korea, such as June 15, in which participants from all levels, including central and local governments, parliaments, political parties, and civil organizations, will be involved. On the international front, the two sides agreed to demonstrate their collective wisdom, talents, and solidarity by jointly participating in international sports events such as the 2018 Asian Games.
⑤ South and North Korea agreed to endeavor to swiftly resolve the humanitarian issues that resulted from the division of the nation, and to convene the Inter-Korean Red Cross Meeting to discuss and solve various issues including the reunion of separated families. In this vein, South and North Korea agreed to proceed with reunion programs for the separated families on the occasion of the National Liberation Day of August 15 this year.
⑥ South and North Korea agreed to actively implement the projects previously agreed in the 2007 October 4 Declaration, in order to promote balanced economic growth and co-prosperity of the nation. As a first step, the two sides agreed to adopt practical steps towards the connection and modernization of the railways and roads on the eastern transportation corridor as well as between Seoul and Sinuiju for their utilization.
- South and North Korea will make joint efforts to alleviate the acute military tension and practically eliminate the danger of war on the Korean Peninsula. Alleviating the military tension and eliminating the danger of war is a highly significant challenge directly linked to the fate of the Korean people and also a vital task in guaranteeing their peaceful and stable lives.
① South and North Korea agreed to completely cease all hostile acts against each other in every domain, including land, air and sea, that are the source of military tension and conflict. In this vein, the two sides agreed to transform the demilitarized zone into a peace zone in a genuine sense by ceasing as of May 1 this year all hostile acts and eliminating their means, including broadcasting through loudspeakers and distribution of leaflets, in the areas along the Military Demarcation Line.
② South and North Korea agreed to devise a practical scheme to turn the areas around the Northern Limit Line in the West Sea into a maritime peace zone in order to prevent accidental military clashes and guarantee safe fishing activities.
③ South and North Korea agreed to take various military measures to ensure active mutual cooperation, exchanges, visits and contacts. The two sides agreed to hold frequent meetings between military authorities, including the Defense Ministers Meeting, in order to immediately discuss and solve military issues that arise between them. In this regard, the two sides agreed to first convene military talks at the rank of general in May.
- South and North Korea will actively cooperate to establish a permanent and solid peace regime on the Korean Peninsula. Bringing an end to the current unnatural state of armistice and establishing a robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula is a historical mission that must not be delayed any further.
① South and North Korea reaffirmed the Non-Aggression Agreement that precludes the use of force in any form against each other, and agreed to strictly adhere to this Agreement.
② South and North Korea agreed to carry out disarmament in a phased manner, as military tension is alleviated and substantial progress is made in military confidence-building.
③ During this year that marks the 65th anniversary of the Armistice, South and North Korea agreed to actively pursue trilateral meetings involving the two Koreas and the United States, or quadrilateral meetings involving the two Koreas, the United States and China with a view to declaring an end to the War, turning the armistice into a peace treaty, and establishing a permanent and solid peace regime.
④ South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realizing, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula. South and North Korea shared the view that the measures being initiated by North Korea are very meaningful and crucial for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and agreed to carry out their respective roles and responsibilities in this regard. South and North Korea agreed to actively seek the support and cooperation of the international community for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
The two leaders agreed, through regular meetings and direct telephone conversations, to hold frequent and candid discussions on issues vital to the nation, to strengthen mutual trust and to jointly endeavor to strengthen the positive momentum towards continuous advancement of inter-Korean relations as well as peace, prosperity and unification of the Korean Peninsula.
In this context, President Moon Jae-in agreed to visit Pyongyang this fall.
April 27, 2018
Done in Panmunjeom
영어로 보니 왜이리 길어보일까요 ㅜ_ㅠ;;
생소하거나 모르는 표현들만 중점적으로 살펴보도록 하겠습니다.
- firm commitment
확고한 의지. firm 이라는 단어가 '회사' 말고 '딱딱한', '단단한'이라는 형용사로 쓰이는 것은 거의 처음봅니다.
- longstanding division and confrontation
오랜 분단과 대결. longstanding :오래 동안에 걸친.
- urgent calling of the times that cannot be held back any further
더 이상 미룰 수 없는 시대의 절박한 요구.
calling of the times시대의 부름. 이런 표현은 이렇게 쓰는 군요!
- fully implementing all existing agreements and declarations adopted between the two sides thus far
이미 채택된 남북 선언들과 모든 합의들을 철저히 이행함.
- rejuvenate the sense of national reconciliation and unity.
해와 단합의 분위기를 고조시켜 나가기.
rejuvenate다시 젊어 보이게 하다. 활기를 되찾다. juvenile 쥬버나일. 청소년이라는 단어와 맥을 같이 하는 것 같습니다. 뜻을 유추할 수 있는 단어였지만 저런 단어를 어떻게 써먹어야 하는지는 몰랐네요.
- humanitarian issues that resulted from the division of the nation
민족 분단으로 발생된 인도적 문제.
humanitarian issue인도적 문제라는 표현입니다.
- promote balanced economic growth
- South and North Korea will make joint efforts to alleviate the acute military tension and practically eliminate the danger of war on the Korean Peninsula.
남과 북은 한반도에서 첨예한 군사적 긴장상태를 완화하고 전쟁 위험을 실질적으로 해소하기 위하여 공동으로 노력해 나갈 것이다.
joint effort. 공동으로 노력하다.
acute. 극심한. 병과 관련된 표현과 함께 쓰이면 '악성의' 라는 뜻이 됩니다.
- South and North Korea agreed to completely cease all hostile acts against each other in every domain, including land, air and sea, that are the source of military tension and conflict
남과 북은 지상과 해상, 공중을 비롯한 모든 공간에서 군사적 긴장과 충돌의 근원이 되는 상대방에 대한 일체의 적대행위를 전면 중지하기로 하였다.
cease멈추다 라는 표현이 이렇게 다양한 줄 몰랐습니다. 저번에 쓰였던 suspend, halt가 함께 떠오르네요.
- In this vein, the two sides agreed to ~
vein이 정맥이라는 뜻인데, 이렇게나 직접적으로 쓰일 줄은 몰랐네요. 이러한 맥락에서~라고 보면 될 것 같습니다.
- establish a permanent and solid peace regime
항구적이며 공고한 평화체제 구축.
- precludes the use of force in any form against each other
그 어떤 형태의 무력도 서로 사용하지 않을.
preclude ~를 못하게 하다.
- carry out disarmament in a phased manner
단계적으로 군축을 실현해 나가기로 하였다.
disarmament 군비 축소.
carry out 실행하다.
- trilateral meetings involving the two Koreas and the United States
trilateral 3자 회담. tri 가 들어 있으면 삼각형, 3명의 뜻이니 3자 회담으로 쓰이네요. 처음봅니다.
- quadrilateral meetings
쿼드~ 는 4를 뜻하죠. quadrilateral 4자회담이었습니다.
- common goal of realizing, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula
완전한 비핵화를 통해 핵 없는 한반도를 실현한다는 공동의 목표를 확인하였다. realize 를 확인하다 라고도 쓰이네요. 인식하다, 깨닫다 말고도 이렇게도 쓰입니다.
영문 버전의 판문점 선언문과 한글 버전의 공식 문서를 비교해가며 읽으니 더욱 좋네요. 정확한 표현들로 이해할 수 있었습니다!
영어로 읽어 보면 이해하는 것도, 자꾸 의식적으로 봐야 자기가 입으로 뱉을 수 있습니다. 슥 읽고 해석 되었다고 해서 그냥 넘어가면 그 표현을 절대 다시 써먹지 못합니다. 입으로 소리 내어 읽으면서 반복하는 습관을 들여야 해요!!
그리고 오타, 표현 수정, 피드백은 언제나 환영입니다!! 댓글로 남겨주세요 :)