Curried Butternut squash and chickpea soup.
This is one of our go to meals on boxing nights, so quick to just reheat when we get back in the door. Bursting with goodness and protein. Deep curry flavours in this dish are a real winner with everyone in the house. Just be careful with the curry powder if you don't like it too hot.
- 1 Med Red Onion,
- 1 Butternut Squash,
- 1 Can Cooked chickpeas (220 G drained),
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder (mild or med depending on tastes),
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1 tsp black pepper,
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 1 tbsp coconut oil ( For frying),
- 800 ml veg stock,
- 170g yellow split peas,
- 1 can coconut milk.
- Dice onion and garlic, add oil to pot and heat. Add onion and let soften, once softened add garlic and cook for 2 min more.
- Peel and chop butternut squash into roughly 1/2 " pieces, add curry powder and butternut squash to pot, coat squash as much as possible with curry powder.
- Add veg stock, salt and pepper, cook for 5 min.
- Add yellow split peas and cook until the butternut squash is soft enough to break with a wooden spoon. The yellow split peas should have thickened up the stock and become soft at this stage.
- Pour the soup in to a blender and blend until smooth, return to the pot.
- Add the chickpeas and coconut milk. Continue to cook for 5 min.
Serve in a large bow with some fresh crusty soup rolls.