The @docsmith Handcrafted Knife Contest
Welcome to the @docsmith handcrafted knife contest hosted by @cookwithus. We want to say thank you to the talented @docsmith for donating his time and materials to make such an amazing knife for the contest. We are truly grateful for your generosity. If you have not seen @docsmith’s page then please head over there and give him some support. He has great content related to his knife making craft.
The following people have already signed up for the contest @puskas, @slowcookingchef, @deimus, @edenmichelle, @leelektrik, @lesbento, @funbobby51, @foodforsoul, @careassaktart, @lizelle, @birdsinparadise, @plantstoplanks and @atmemestable.
We are happy to see some new people as well as some old friends! If you have not signed up for the contest yet, you can still enter. Just remember that this is a cumulative contest and we will not accept any new contestants after the first week. Also as a reminder after week one we will eliminate 1/2 of the contestants and after week two we will also eliminate 1/2 of the contestants. The winner in week three will be the person with the highest cumulative score over the three weeks.
How the contest will work
The contest will have three challenges and will take place over three weeks from August 28th until September 17th.
Week 1- August 28th to September 3rd
Hors d’oeuvre, Canapé or Bite-sized Appetizer
In the first week you will make one hors d’oeuvre, canapé or bite-sized appetizer. This is a small flavorful snack that you might have at a cocktail party or before a dinner party. You can make anything that you want as long as it is small and can be eaten in one or two bites. Make sure that you include at least one photo with a hand holding the bite sized snack. After judging this week, 1/2 of the contestants will be eliminated. Don't forget to include a proof photo with each of your entries. A proof photo is a picture of your dish with a piece of paper that has your Steemit name, @cookwithus and the name of your dish written on it. During this contest every contestant must provide a proof photo or the entry is invalid.
EVERY CONTESTANT MUST SUBMIT A PROOF PHOTO WITH THEIR ENTRY
Week 2- September 4th to September 10th
There will be four ingredients in the mystery basket and they will be revealed on Tuesday September 4th. You will make one dish of your choice using all four of the mystery basket ingredients. Expect that one ingredient will seem a bit unusual. But, you must find a way to use all of the ingredients in your dish. If one of the ingredients is a protein, we will offer a meat and vegan option. We love our diverse community at Cook with Us and we want everyone to go after this amazing prize, in their own way. After judging this week, 1/2 of the contestants will be eliminated.
Week 3- September 11th to September 17th
A Three Course Meal
In the final week, you will made a three course meal consisting of one starter, one main dish and one dessert. What you make is completely up to you. Just make sure for each course that you make only one dish. After judging this week there will be only one very happy winner!
A Winner’s Knife in the Making
@docsmith explained that the knife had a first dip into acid to see how the hamon turned out. He also said that the knife starts out being sanded at 60 grit (pictured above) and that he then works up to 600 grit sanding. @docsmith then continues the sanding process by hand. The bottom photo is the beginning stage of adding the walnut wood handle to the knife. We will post more photos as the knife making process continues. We can’t wait to see the finished knife!
Cook with Us Official Contest Rules
Please take some time to review the contest rules below. If you are unsure about any of them, just ask us for some clarification. We will be happy to help you.
Contest Entry Rules
- The title of your post should look like this: Cook with Us #23 - Name of your dish. For example, Cook with Us #23 - One-Bite Shrimp Toasts.
- The first tag on your entry must be: cookwithus.
- Upvote and resteem this @cookwithus post that you are submitting an entry for.
- Include a proof photo (see above for details).
- Include a description of the dish. Some examples are the taste of the dish, its origin, or the story behind it.
- Describe why your dish works. Give a brief description about why you put these ingredients together.
- Post a link to your entry in the comments section of this post.
General Contest Rules
- Contest ends every Monday 12:00 UTC.
- Results will be published no later than Thursday 12:00 UTC, three days after the contest is closed.
- By entering @cookwithus, the contestant agrees to their material being used by the organizers for any purposes and will not be compensated should the material be published. But you, the author/photographer, will be given written credit.