Hey! I have done it...
Created my first node!
This is a simple announcement. Later on, I will bring more updates on further upgrades of the witness node. My idea is to bring my witness to a very efficient way for others to be able to replicate.
Because expensive hardware is a problem from the past. I aim to solve it via common hardware, with superb software!
Everyone would like to have a NAS at home right? What if that NAS can run Steemd as a docker? Amazing right? Well, this is my goal. So far so good, steemd is running within a docker via XPEnology!
It's not ideal but it's running just fine:
- 8GB of RAM (shared with a bunch of other stuff I have)
- 2 cores of an OLD Intel I am so ashamed to name... but the fact is that it.. damn WORKS!
- 6x1TB F3 SAMSUNG disks over Synology Hybrid-RAID6 (amazing stuff for the age)
- 200 Mbit (down) / 20 Mbit (up) - Sorry, New Zealand is still growing in this plane...
- ASUS Router/Firewall 1.4GHz 2-core ARM
Future upgrades... planned (no ETA for now):
- Going to 8 or 16 cores... possibly more!
- My RAM aim is to go for 64 GB min... ideal 256GB! Amazing would be 1TB - 4x instances of steemd... with full support on memory with asynchronous mirroring to SSD!
- 2x SSDs cached RAID with expanded Hybrid-RAID6 to 8 disks minimum (2TB each).
- 2x 1Gbit connection (up/down)
- ASUS Router/Firewall 1.8GHz 4-core ARM or another equivalent
Optional (depending on friends):
- Active/Active Highly-available service between Wellington and Auckland (New Zealand).
- A possible future node in Portugal (depends on my folks)!
From an infrastructure specialist like me, I could dedicate easily hardware to bring this to a normal status quo... but because I am also an engineer... my aim is to bring technology to a broader public. So to be efficient is a must... cost effective and cheap, so anyone can easily implement this at home.
Believe me, with the current software/hardware I have, 50% of people in NZ with a PC could implement a Steemd node easy...
Also, find out what I am trying to implement with POWERVoice!