CadEditor is the universal level editor for NES/SMD/SNES/Game Boy games, the introduction of the project was here
New update of CadEditor project:
- Animation Plugin Update:
Fix banks addresses (animation editor for Little Mermaid [NES])
Select background color, and transparency
Export to PNG (with transparency option)
Load CHR and PAL from separate files at any moment
View X/Y mirroring and pallette for tile at selecting tile
(this update was described here)
- Physics layer for Battletoads 3D levels
- Full-sized sprites for games Darkwing Duck, Chip & Dale, Duck Tales (partially), Little Mermaid [NES]
- Screens and Blocks editor for Hook [NES] (all levels)
- Enemy editor - ability to select different aligns for the game (fix selection and render full-sized enemies' sprites for Ninja Cats [NES]
- Fix enemy editor for Mono (Windows/Linux) version of the editor
- Fixes in scripts and configs
- Articles updates
This update contains several improvements of the different part of the CadEditor - Enemy Editor, Animation Editor and Configs for games. Also, I tested CadEditor built with Mono and added little fixes, so now it can be used with it without problems.
If you want to run CadEditor with mono, you can type in your command line/terminal:
Any subeditors will works now, as in the .Net Framework version.
I added many updates in Anim Editor, but most of them already described in the article
I made several full-sized sprites pack (instead of little sprites icons) for capcom games, and add it with this release. the differences are shown in the screenshots:
With full-sized sprites, it needs to add the ability to describe how sprites will be aligned in the game.
For example, in Ninja Cats game sprites aligned at the bottom-right corner, and for Capcom games sprites are centered.
Now CadEditor can describe any forms of alignment with an overload of rendering and selection functions for full-sized sprites.
Also, I made several config updates for specific games:
- Battletoads - added a description of physics layer for 3D levels. I added the ability to describe physics as a separate layer in the previous update, so now I described it for all levels, that used it (3D levels - Ragnarok's Canyon, Turbo Tunnel, Surf City and Volkmire's Inferno).
- James Bond Jr - dump editor. I was interested in this game because it uses LZ77-like compression, that's very unusual for NES game. I added an uncompressed dump of the first screen to CadEditor as the example, but compressor for this game still not exist. I explored sources of the prototype of this game, but it contains just a compressed and uncompressed version of data, with no compressor tool itself.
- Hook - blocks editor. CadEditor already contains configs for this game, but it used the prepared screenshot of blocks for this game. I rewrite config, and now configs using graphics from ROM data, so any block can be edited.
Also, I collected my old articles and notes about the romhacking, published at several sites, and added links to it to CadEditor documentation site:
There are about 60 links to articles now.
CadEditor Release 5.3 on github
Romhacking.net forum theme related to CadEditor
Romhacking utility page
Emu-land forum theme related to CadEditor (Russian)
CadEditor documentation and articles (mostly, in Russian)
My next milestone - create my own test ROM, and add configs for it. My own game can be distributed with CadEditor, so users can start to edit it without a need to download ROMs from the internet. Also, I can use it for writing tests.
Also, I'll continue to improve configs for some already added games.
- CadEditor - Universal level editor for NES/SMD/SNES games
- CadEditor. Support levels with mixed screens
- CadEditor. Release 5.1
- CadEditor - Two new plugins
- CadEditor. Release 5.2
- CadEditor. History of the project
- CadEditor - Animation Editor updates ad Sprites
- CadEditor. Chip & Dale: Tale Spin Levels game