Swimming is said to be one of the amazing ways to keep oneself fit and well and make friends. It is a healthy activity that one can perform for a lifetime. Being a low-impact activity, swimming possesses numerous physical and mental health benefits.
Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
• keeps your heart rate up but sucks some of the impact stress off your body
• helps building endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
• helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
• tones muscles and builds strength
• delivers an all-round body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are being used during swimming.
Some other benefits include:
• Swimming is considered to be an excellent workout as you need to move your entire body against the resistance of the water.
• alleviating stress
• enhancing coordination, balance and posture
• improving flexibility
• offering good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
• delivering a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day
• being available in many places – you can swim in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams and rivers. Ensure that the environment you choose to swim in is secure
• A very relaxing and peaceful form of exercise.