For a while I have been tinkering with the idea to combine Steem Transfer Memo's to automated processes and do more with the Steem Blockchain
write/post possibilities in a useful manner.
Up to now I had only been making apps which are certainly fun (imho), and display
read data from the Steem Blockchain, but that all changed today... Introducing RadioSteem.com
RadioSteem - Consensus Radio StationBy using the possibility of attaching a memo users can supply a request to have their favorite tracks added to the random playlist of the radio station.
Whenever a new track gets added it will (only once) play directly. New tracks are added every 6 minutes and crossposted on @radiosteem 's blog.
Currently the radiostation is in 'aggregation' modus and randomly plays all added tracks.
Over the weekend I will flip to 'consensus/vote'-based picks for the hourly random playlist instead of 'fishing' from all tracks added. You can simply bring your vote on @radiosteem 's blog which lists all tracks added to the playlist.
How to play Radio Steem:An icecast streaming server (mp3) is broadcasting on the interwebs and you can play this in your browser, iTunes, VLC, Sonos, laptop, phone, etc.
- Play online via http://RadioSteem.com (with overview of nowplaying, amount of listeners, and recent requests)
- Direct m3u playlist file: http://radiosteem.com/radiosteem.m3u
- Direct xspf playlist file: http://radiosteem.com/radiosteem.xspf
How to add your track to Radio Steem:
- Go to your Wallet via the menu.
- Click on your totals of either SBD or Steem and initiate to transfer money.
- Fill in the transfer dialog: Send at least 0.33 SBD / STEEM to
radiosteemand fill the memo field with
artist track. Replace 'artist' and 'track' with your favorite artist's track.
Don't forget the play keyword!(Update: no longer necessary to begin with 'play')
- Hit transfer, you will be asked to sign with your 'active wif' or overall password, leave 'remember me' unchecked.
- Wait a bit... The machine processes 1 request per 6 minutes.
RoyaltiesFor now this is a (fully working!) proof of concept, if it works it will be finetuned. I have already investigated the webradio licensing fees for running this kind of station. If there is a decent request for this station, or other streaming music ideas which could evolve from this, I am happy to pay the licensing fees to the local royalties collector... This royalties collector will then use this fee to pay their CEO's villa and ferrarri and leaves some pennies to the artists. :(
How It Is Made:
- Piston.rocks python-steem library by @xeroc
- User requests via 'memo'
- Script looks up and normalises data via 'ye good ol' Last.fm API.
- A certain provider of clips, fail vids and what more supplies audio.
- Instantly streams the newly added audio.
- Afterwards picks next added track or random from the list.
- @radiosteem wires your money back if no track was found
- @radiosteem wires your money back if you wired not enough money (minimum = 0.33 SBD or 0.33 Steem)
- be sure to upvote your track on @radiosteem (note we most probably don't earn author rewards because we cross the 4 posts per day easily)
- Find the official #radiosteem channel in Steemit.chat to discuss tracks and music in general
- read above the part about royalties.