Okay guys, I am really excited about this one.
I love these two poses, and you should really give them a try. Although they are quite advanced, just go as far as you can.
Lets do this!
- Having already warmed up, meet me in Downward Facing Dog. Push your chest towards your thighs and make sure your legs are straight. Try to get your heals to the floor. My cat always shows me the proper technique
- Next, you are going to bring your foot forward and place it down with your shin as parallel to the front of the mat as you can. I did this super slow in the pictures so you can see exactly how to do so. Step by step.
Come down into Half Pigeon, and add in a hair flip if you want.
From here, exhale and fold forward over your front leg as much as you can. It takes a while,so just keep pulling yourself forward and relaxing the hips. You will feel yourself melt into the pose. Stay here for 15 breaths. Make sure your hips are squared and facing forward.
- Now that you have stretched the hips a bit, let's prepare for Pigeon Pose(Kapotasana) with Mermaid Pose(Eka Pada Raja Kapotasna).
- Come up, and reach for the back leg.
Try to hook the back foot into the bent elbow, and then entwine the fingers.
There you have it, mermaid pose!
From here come back down into Half
If this is as far as you'd like to go, that's fine. Hold for 10 breaths.
If you would like to go further, reach for the back leg with the opposite arm, and then twist over and grab it with the other hand. This is the difficult part.
- Pull the foot towards you, and arch the back. Look up. Hold for as long as you can and then come out the pose as you got into it. So place the hands and leg back down, and come back up into Downward Facing Dog.
- Repeat on the other side.
And there you have it guys, Mermaid Pose and Pigeon Pose!
As always, never push yourself too far. Take it slow and keep at it. Even if it take you years to get the full pose, keep trying.
I hope you liked this, and if you have any questions or feedback leave me a comment. I always appreciate them!
Photo credits to the amazing @thatguyjono, who always takes the best pictures.
Follow me @yogidream.scapes for more!
Thanks for reading, have a great day!