copied from here
To those that notice in the last SB (977511) an UNEXPECTED decrease in their magnitude/rewards (e.g. 1/3rd less ?), it was suggested in chat today by a dev that people should
- stake only as investors (and not with PoR) until the next SB:
- to not get less (about 1/3rd) of their deserved PoR rewards
What happened, actually?
- to help fix the SB situation (>186h for the SB, see here) a group of helpers (devs, ...) created this SB in a special created Gridcoin version. It was added a boost to meet the average magnitude requirements.
- The added placeholder lowered seemingly the mag unit and upped the total network magnitude
What to do ?
- stake as investor (Do NOT let your wallet closed until this situation is "fixed"! Why? With your investor mode the net weight stays high and you still secure the network)
- how to do that ?
- 1. exit your wallet
- 2. uncomment your email (or set the boincdatadir=foo) in your gridcoinresearch.conf file
- 3. of course remember what you did in step b), so you can revert it later
- 4. start your wallet and make sure you see below picture after a few minutes (indicating you are an investor)
Investor mode until when ?
- the devs are working on a fix, stay tuned on the usual communication channels where you read this very info (e.g. forum, reddit, IRC, slack, telegram (can be accessed via IRC also), twitter, ...)
Keep in mind:
- Doing so (investor only) might RISK not being paid if one of the BOINC projects are not in the whitelist anymore:
- see this
- Also, not everyone should go investor mode!
- ONLY when you noticed your rewards/magnitude dropped unexpectedly (e.g. other reasons could be: more competitors joined the research projects you help out, ...)