Something Dungeons: Fireball, New UI, Better Controls
Play: https://mktcode.itch.io/something-dungeons (Sound required!)
Woohooo! Finally! I wanted to have fireballs in my game so desperately and now they are here! :D
Particle emitters of course. I'm not yet 100% happy with the mechanic but yet again a first, completed iteration.
Once you've found the spell you can use your mana and the right mouse button to cast a fireball. Hold the button down for a moment to increase its size and damage. Release mouse button over an enemy and it will bounce off enemies and hit another one... and another one, if fully charged, dealing 15, 10 and then 5 damage, currently.
There is no narrative for the fireball and you can not yet level it up. Both systems will probably change a lot in the coming days and I don't want to put effort into the current implementations.
Not much to say about it. This...
turned into this:
Looks so much better, doesn't it? Still nothing unique though (https://opengameart.org/content/rpg-game-ui) but certainly a step forward. The arrangement of things might change but this will be the new look and feel.
Ok, to be honest... it's still shitty. At least if you are playing with mouse. I'd still recommend using the keyboard. BUT I improved the path finding precision and the auto-attack when clicking on enemies. It is now a bit less likely to accidentally run into enemies and some other bugs where fixed too.
It also kind of works on mobile now, which made me decide that mobile support will be worked on. Currently tapping around and killing enemies is basically all you can do but... well, that's actually a big part of the game so... and for the other issues I will find solutions, pretty sure.
- more initial mana (5 instead of 3)
- health and mana orbs are now more likely. (drop chance: 1/8 instead of 1/15)
- new song form Kai Engel (Crying Earth) added, currently for menu screen
- made spiders move more "spiderish"
- added "look around" idle animation
- added an app icon
Aaand a lot more. I made 70+ commits in the past 14 days. Most of them are minor stuff, little tweaks and code cleanups here and there.
I feel like I am really close to my goal. Not only starting to work on a game but actually finish and publishing a game. Of course this depends on your definition of "finished" but for me it is simply a point where I am... happy enough with the result.
The next steps to reach the "1.0" milestone include:
- at least one asynchronous multiplayer element
- improve/finish story/narrator/sound/subtitles
- resolve performance issues
- mobile support
- fix known bugs
Give me Feedback!
I'd love to hear opinions and discuss ideas. I just set up a discord server so get in contact with me there if you like.
I also post regular snippets on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thecodelander