You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: People, Prices, Haggling and Other Inconsistencies

in #discussion6 years ago

When people go to the 7-11 they can go 24/7, there's the realization that having that convenience 365 days, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week comes at a higher price. When people go to arts and crafts fairs they are usually out for a day of summer fun (usually family day fun) and don't expect it to come as a high end deal. Arts and crafts fairs use to be a fairly reasonably price events and some even considered to be a bargain buy. A bargain buy would be dollar hot dogs, fifty cent cans of pop, maybe a logo shirt for five bucks, a pair of earnings three or four bucks. Now you go and it's two bucks a hot dog, dollar, dollar fifty for a can of pop, ten bucks for a logo shirt, and three times the cost you buy something similar in earnings just about anywhere in town. Now if you take one of those carnival on wheel deals people will pay those high prices because they took at the expense it takes to travel and sit up, inspections involved, permits, electricity cost, security, etc., they don't see that when it comes to arts and crafts fare where people pitch a tent and set up a table. I don't know if you seen my article I did on when my family went to the zoo, a hundred twenty to thirty bucks we spent for five adults and three kids to have a family day out. We consider it to be a rip off through out the whole zoo. Yeah it's expensive to maintain a zoo but they literally gouge you for every thing they offer. People get offended by that. We paid five bucks just for a small plastic bag of popcorn you could walk into any gas station and get for less than a buck, three dollars for a bottle of pop, two fifty for over sized cookies, we had to forgo the camel rides they raised the price so high, six bucks per kids and that was without a picture, a picture would have been three bucks more. That's still eighteen bucks even if you took your own picture for three kids to ride. We spent seventy some dollars just to get in you'd think they could find something they could sell at a reasonable price to give families a break. I think it's the mindset that's already set inside some people that they automatically know and accept they will be gouged in some places they decide to go, they accept or justify it based on the operation of the expenses involved to provide whatever the entertainment may be, they look at a low end operation like people pitching tents, tables who sat around in their spare time working on a hobby and decided to make a few bucks off that hobby should be just that a few bucks here and few bucks there but at the end of the day they don't expect it to add up to a hundred or more. That's why if I go to a crafts event (which I rarely do) I go through the whole event before deciding what I want to buy the most.

Sort:  

Pretty much everything seems to have gotten insanely expensive. We barely even go to the movies anymore; two adults with drinks and snacks is almost $40 before you even turn your head! And in theme and amusement parks they just nickel-and-dime you to death.

I guess I am possibly more sensitive than most to being gouged by entertainment because I just won't DO it unless I feel the "value" is there. There's a whole lot of stuff I am perfectly content to just do without.

It's been forever since I've went to a movie. Like you said it's expensive, the movie may have great reviews but you find it just sucks. In my opinion movies were better without all the digital innovation, something got lost along the way there.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.29
TRX 0.12
JST 0.034
BTC 62939.93
ETH 3116.22
USDT 1.00
SBD 3.89