You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: "These Idiots..."

in #discussion7 years ago

Polarization.

I remember having a discussion-- very civilized-- about 12 years ago with a group of people from very different backgrounds, with very different viewpoints. One of the conclusions we came to is that we seem to live in a world that's increasingly dominated by the "shrill voices of the extremes," while most of more moderate perceptions are overlooked or thought "not important" because their approach lack the power to galvanize people into action. As I said, that was 12 years ago.

So here we sit now, and polarization of more of an issue than ever... and it seems to be more and more like the worm Ourobouros, biting its own tail. Discussion and debate more frequently reduced to name calling and mud slinging. And I find myself worried that I am "guilty" as well, because I increasingly wear out from trying to maintain some kind of... "civic stamina" to intervene in these forceful name calling contests. And so, I watch the extremes grow louder.

Idiots! Immoral! Ignorant! Stupid!

There's something "more" there... this subtext that it's no longer enough to simply "have an opinion," but more and more people are on the slippery slope to "Me, having my opinion precludes you having the right to yours-- IF it is different from mine!"

Sometimes it's really hard work NOT being "the idiot."

Great post... and good questions for our times.

Sort:  

Thanks for chiming in. I always appreciate your comments. I agree, there is quite a bit of polarization going on. I wonder if people are overly sensitive to their opinions being attacked because it's so much harder to be "sure" about anything these days. There's so much information available online and most people don't have the time to do all that much research so it's very threatening to be told, "No, actually, you're wrong."

It's easier just to shout someone down than it is to read scientific papers, history books, and listen to lectures to have a well-supported argument.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.20
TRX 0.12
JST 0.029
BTC 60993.82
ETH 3387.87
USDT 1.00
SBD 2.49