Yeah, I know, boring title ^^
So, after a bit of thinking, this is my proposal for how to structure the Steem Anime Discord Server.
Names are of course also open to discussion.
“Ranks” of members
Starting from highest to lowest, with increasing restrictions:
Shogun: What other servers would call very boring Administrator or SuperMod. The ones with power over life and death. Did you know there was a practice called Tsujigiri – randomly killing people to test one’s sword?
Senpai: Our reliable Senpais will act as Moderators on the server. Can also post in Announcements.
Otaku: The “standard” user. Can read everything and post everywhere except announcements.
Inhabitant: Sort of getting-used-to or probationary status for Otakus that harassed the Maids. Can read everything but not post in the post promotion area.
Everyone: People that stumble on our server. Cannot see the “Management” area or NSFW or social rooms.
- Akihabara-Station: The starting point and general talk place where all people can talk.
- Hello and Help: If you need help or are just new, here is the place to say hello
- Post promotion Anime, Manga (including art); only Otaku and upwards can post here
- Post Promotion member posts; only Otaku and upwards can post here
- Post Promotion WWW
- Tokyo-Tower: Okay, the tower is not in Akihabara, but it is iconic too and a great symbol for what the channel is about: Looking into the future of the Discord Server and the Steem anime tag.
- Voting: Things to vote upon, casts and the results
- Voting discussions, to be separated from the vote casts
Those are for discussing different things, with a bit of soft this-here and that-there so to not overwhelm readers or people speaking over each other’s head.
- Maid-Cafe: For the Otaku stuff, like which Mecha would hurt Godzilla the most
- Magical-Girl-Restaurant: For Arts, because art is magic!
- Butler-Bar: Everything else.
- Deculture!: (A reference to the Macross anime, which made the term otaku (originally a very formal “you”) known in the west and is likely the reason why western anime fans call themselves Otaku) Place for everything about Japanese culture.
We also need to talk about how we should really call the server. Currently it’s Akihabara Steem. Nothing wrong with this, but maybe you have a better idea?
Also I think it is a bit long. Japanese love to shorten things, and I think we should do it too, at least for a “nickname”.
I propose Akibasteem. Why? To quote the Wikipedia:
The name Akihabara is a shortening of Akibagahara (秋葉が原, "autumn leaf field"), which ultimately comes from Akiba (秋葉), named after a fire-controlling deity of a firefighting shrine built after the area was destroyed by a fire in 1869
Steem is meant to refer to esteem, but everybody thinks of steam, right? So if we take the fire god that gave Akihabara it’s name, and tell everyone we are steaming for anime on steem… then you automatically land at Akibasteem. (Also Akiba is understood as the short for Akihabara.)
What do you think? What sounds good, what would you make different? Any more ideas?