05-27-2018 Witness Update
May 27, 2018 Witness Update @r351574nc3
In the spirit of transparency, I am going to update you all on what I have been up to (as a witness). Try not to be too disappointed. While I am earnest in all my endeavors, I will admit I am not the most expediant.
I have been working on the following:
A lot of progress has been made on this. This is pretty much a steemit condenser replacement. I had been working on it more, but I'm taking a bit of a backseat going forward until more development opportunities on the project open up.
Here's a link to the discord channel https://discord.gg/NTFJ3R
The Full Node
I've been running a full node at version 19.4 for some time, but there has been some trouble.
- Not producing blocks
- It's pretty much a full-time job to run
Going forward, I have a plan to start offering private node access. That's right. @guiltyparties suggested that it might be worth it to others to have a private node. I will go into further detail on this in another blog post. For now, just know that I am seriously looking into this, and it's a problem that I have been working to solve.
I help run this anti-bullying community. Our discord url is https://discord.gg/USYwcMh
This has really been consuming a lot of my time because I have been building a dashboard for our bot. https://we-resist-dashboard.herokuapp.com
It's finally available, and from this dashboard, I plan to build access to other tools. Going forward, there are definitely going to be more features.
I feel bad because I think that users really want this. I've gotten a lot of support for this tool and I thank you all very much for that support. I have not given this the attention it deserves because my attention had been so divided. I want to let you know this is no longer the case. With the completion of the dashboard, I will be able to finally complete the much needed user interface for @exifr
Some time ago, I wrote a post about a distributed log passthru. This development has been the primary reason a lot of development I've been working on has not progressed as much as desired. Here are the reasons
- Lack of persistance. Right now the best way to access blockchain data is to query it directly through the api. I realize there are some other options, but they don't scale. I have been holding off on developing tools that would require this because I don't want to build on more technical debt.
- This is actually a huge amount of work to do.
- I want to get preliminary groundwork laid for projects before I get into persistance.
I think I'm at a point now that I now need this and it will be a feature for other tools I am developging.
- DynamoDB integration. I'm going to start mining data into a warehouse built with DynamoDB
- Distributed Log passthru. Events recorded to the steem blockchain will now be aggregated with the distributed log passthru. This is one way records will get recorded into DynamoDB
- Other datastores. Other consumers will read from the passthru and start recording data into their own datastores. There will be a graph database for recording follower and tag connections for example.
- Public access to the passthru. This is something I'm not sure about yet. Everything is still in testing, so I want to keep working and developing it. Security is very important and I definitely want to offer this publicly in the future, but it will take some work to complete.
That's what I've been working on. Thanks for the support and encouragement.