The long term effects of chlorinated drinking water have just recently being recognized. According to the U.S. Council Of Environmental Quality, “Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine.”
Is UK tap water chlorinated?
Chlorine is the most widely used disinfectant in the home. It is also disinfectant used by the water industry to maintain hygienic conditions within the public water supply network of pipes. At the very low levels used in drinking water it is perfectly safe.
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter
Chlorine is a chemical that prevents bacteria from growing. Chlorine poisoning occurs when someone swallows or breathes in (inhales) chlorine.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
Immediate signs and symptoms of chlorine exposure
During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine, the following signs and symptoms may develop:
Burning pain, redness, and blisters on the skin if exposed to gas. Skin injuries similar to frostbite can occur if it is exposed to liquid chlorine
Burning sensation in the nose, throat, and eyes
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed for a few hours
Nausea and vomiting
Showing these signs or symptoms does not necessarily mean that a person has been exposed to chlorine.