Most development is currently taking place on the develop branch.
This is a status update on the current development state of SteemQA, a generic Questions and Answers application for the Steem blockchain.
In a similar way to Quora, applications running on the SteemQA engine will allow communities of users to submit questions and provide answers to those questions for a wide variety of topics.
Being a Steem-based application, SteemQA differentiates itself from Quora and similar projects by allowing users to reward contributors through upvotes. In this manner SteemQA offers an innovative way to financially reward quality contributions without the need to raise revenue through obtrusive advertising.
This is the first development status update for the SteemQA project.
SteemQA is an application engine which allows users to quickly and easily setup Q&A applications for the domain area of their choice.
For example, the founder of this project intends to use SteemQA to launch a new StemQA application dedicated to S.T.E.M topics (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
Contributions posted through third party applications are automatically detected by a Steem streaming application on the back-end server and inserted into the main SteemQA database.
SteemQA applications will be available for desktop browsers as well as an Android and iOS app.
SteemQA development is making good progress and at this stage about 40% of features required to release the first beta release is completed.
The biggest recent design decisions was to make use of the Steem-UA rating metric system for users and contributions ranking.
The following technologies are used throughout the project.
- Node JS
- Vue JS
- Quasar framework and third party external components such as steemconnect-v2 SDK
The following is a summary of the functionalities currently implemented.
The Home page presents the user with a top level menu, a login link, a carousel of highest ranked questions and a row of swiping cards summarizing the most recent questions on the system.
Each card currently shows the question image (or generic image if none is present in the post), title, creation date, estimated monetary reward, number of upvotes and an overview button (which doesn't do anything at the moment).
The author and the main topic of the question are also displayed.
More useful information is expected to be added in the coming weeks.
Steemconnect sign in
The user can log in through Steemconnect by clicking the Login link and approving the SteemQA application.
Once logged in, the user can access the "My Topics" page through the drawer menu and select a subset of the available topics.
Submitting new questions
Logged in users can click the "New Question" tab and submit a new question.
Questions are validated by making sure that the title ends with a question mark.
When viewed on another Steem app, the question and answer bodies will show a short message with a link to the SteemQA application.
Users can access the question page by clicking on the image or title on the corresponding card.
The question comes first followed by the associated answers sorted by post-ua rating.
Authenticated users can upvote questions and answers through the upvote button.
The button opens a dialog which allows setting the voting weight.
Setting the voting weight to 0 amounts to canceling a previous vote.
Editing a questions and answers.
Authenticated users can edit their questions and answers by clicking he "Edit" button in the question page.
SteemQA now has a Discord channel and everybody interested in the project is welcome to join our new community!
Looking for developers!
SteemQA is still in its infancy but is now in a state where we are looking for enthusiastic developers to join the team!
If you have past experience with any of the technologies listed at the beginning of this article, please join the Discord channel and leave a message in the chat room or DM @irelandscape.
Main remaining tasks for first Beta release
The following list is a summary of the tasks that remain before release of the 0.1 version.
- Update home page to only show questions related to the user favorite topics
- Home page to show latest and best rated questions as well as answers.
- Add support for adding / editing / viewing comments.
- Question overview button
- Hide widgets to non-logged in users that are only available to authenticated users.
- Allow infinite swiping of questions on the home page. Cards are automatically added/removed as the user swipes left or right.
- Regular polling of the backend API for new question updates and updating accordingly the home page.
- Past contributions pages. Allow users to browse his past question/answer/comment/replies contributions.
- Allow user to bookmark favorite questions
- Allow users to "delete" contributions.
- Allow moderators to flag contributions. Flagged contributions won't be shown anymore on the UI.
- Integrate Steem-UA ratings.
- Searching capability
- Show user current voting power in upvote dialog.
- About and Help and Guidelines pages
- Cleanup menus and drawers
- Basic Steem wallet to see and claiming pending rewards.
- Automatically append questions and answers with a short message containing a link to the SteemQA application. This message is not shown when viewed through the SteemQA application.
- Updates in server-side streamer script
- StemQA logo
- Production distribution preparation
- Discord chat room
To infinity and beyond!
I am extremely enthusiastic about the new possibilities that SteemQA will bring to the Steem community!
With your help, we can make this project a reality and bring huge credibility to the Steem platform.
Looking forward to your feedback and stay tune for more updates in the near future!