Some forts in Maharashtra.
Image source : "http://mayekarsholidayhome.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/sindhudurg-fort-01"
The Sindhudurg Fort is a tangible example of the Maratha foresight and resourcefulness. It lies 130 km north of Goa. A protected monument, the name of this fort is given to Sindhudurg district. Built by none other than Chhatrapati Shivaji, the construction of Sindhudurg Fort utilizes the natural protection of the surrounding rocks to their advantage. The main entrance has a fort rampart which has the hand and foot prints of Shivaji Maharaj on limestone. This imposing construction is spread over an area of 48 acres, with its massive walls standing tall against the crashing waves of the sea. Protruding right from the midst of the mighty Arabian Sea, this fort makes up for a delightfully charming sight.
Suvarnadurg Fort :
Image source : "https://www.hindujagruti.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Suvarnadurg_Fort_640"
Suvarnadurg fort was built by Sultan Adilshah. He was the Sultan of Bijapur in the state of Karnataka. Suvarnadurg fort was captured by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in 1660 by defeating Ali Adil Shah. This fort is one of the major sea forts in Maharashtra. Suvarnadurg means “Golden Fort” as it was one of the important coastal forts of Maratha empire. The fort remained under the control of the Peshwas till 1818. Suvarnadurg fort is now densely occupied by the thorny trees & bushes. The Mahadarwaja (entry gate) of this fort is not visible until you reach very close to the fort. The hidden main gate opens towards the east. It has on its threshold a carved figure of a tortoise and on the side wall, that of Maruti (hindu god).
Kandhar is a very small town in Nanded hence this fort is not known to much people and it is not that main stream. The fort is not in a very good condition nowadays. Researchers say that the fort is around 1200 years old and hence it shows the architecture and creativity of the ancient architectures. Rashtrakuta King Krishna III commissioned the fort sometime between the 6th and the 10th centuries CE. Afghans believed that ancient Kandahar had been built by Alexander the Great.
Panhala Fort :
Image source : "https://www.goaprism.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/maharashtra_fort_panhala"
Panhala lies on the Sahyadri Mountain Range. The well known Maratha ruler and warrior, Chhatrapati Shivaji took control of the fort in 1660. Later it was modified by Marathas. After a sea-saw battle between Mogul forces and Marathas, finally Aurangzeb took control in 1692. In 1782, the capital of the Kolhapur government was moved from Panhala to Kolhapur for some political reason. It became Maratha state capital under Tarabai upto 1782, and then British conquered it in 1827. The battle of Pavankhind was the most famous battle of this fort which included Shivaji Maharaj. Tanaji Malusare fought very bravely in the battle of Pavankhind to protect Shivaji Maharaj. The fort is 25 km away from the Kolhapur city and lies 300-400 feet above its base village.