To the north-west of St. Petersburg, almost on the border of Russia with Finland is located a small and beautiful by its nature and architecture city of Vyborg. The city of Vyborg was founded in the 13th century by Swedes. The first mention of the city dates back to 1293, when the Swedes built the Vyborg fortress on this territory. The Finnish name is Viipuri, the Swedish name is Vyborg. In 1293, during one of the crusades into the land inhabited by Karelians, a powerful castle, named Vyborg, was founded on the decision of the regent of the Swedish king Torgils Khnutsson on Zamkovy Island. He became a reliable outpost of spreading Swedish influence on the land of the Karelian Isthmus, remaining unassailable until 1710. The Novgorod Republic, which had trade relations with the Karelians, did not want to put up with the loss of land and in 1294 the Novgorod army besieged Vyborg, but Novgorod army could not take the city.
View of the city of Vyborg from the tower of St. Olav.
The campaign of the Russian Novgorod army in 1322 was also unsuccessful. In 1323, according to the Orehovets Peace Treaty of Novgorod and Sweden, the border between them was established along the Sestre River, part of the Karelian Isthmus with Vyborg went to Sweden. The campaign of the Russian Novgorod army in 1322 was also unsuccessful. In 1323, according to the Orehovets Peace Treaty of Novgorod and Sweden, the border between them was established along the Sestre River, part of the Karelian Isthmus with Vyborg went to Sweden. In 1403, the city-fortress of Vyborg was equalized as a city with the city of Uppsala (the spiritual capital of the Swedish Kingdom): Swedish King Eric Pomeranian granted him "equal city privileges", including trading (that is, residents of Vyborg had a priority right purchase of goods from trade caravans), thanks to which the city quickly turned into a major shopping center.
From 1442 to 1448 in Vyborg, the rules of Karl Knutsson Bunde, lover of magnificent festivities. Under him, the Vyborg Castle was considered one of the most beautiful.
Only in 1710 the city was taken by the Russian troops and the fleet, and according to the Nystadt Peace Treaty of 1721 officially became part of the Russian Empire.
Vyborg in 1709 year.
The Vyborg Plan in the 18th century.
In 1719, Vyborg and Keksgolmsky districts were merged into the Vyborg province of St. Petersburg province, officially included in the Russian Empire under the Nystadt Peace Treaty in 1721, and in 1744 a separate Vyborg guberniya was created.
In 1802 Vyborg province became Finland, and in 1811 it got its former name, but already in the Grand Duchy of Finland.
In the future, until the 19 century, the history of Vyborg almost does not have major events: it has a Russian garrison, trade and industry are developing.
The house of Moskvin.
View from the Red Square.
The peace period ended in 1939, when the Soviet-Finnish war began. In February 1940, after the breakthrough of the Mannerheim Line, the Red Army came close to the Vyborg fortified area. The city and the region once again became part of the USSR.
But in the summer of 1941, after the outbreak of the Great Patriotic War, the city was occupied by the allies of fascist Germany - the Finnish troops.
Parade of Finnish troops in Vyborg in August 1941.
In 1944, the city of Vyborg was liberated by the Soviet Red Army and again became part of the USSR.
Today it is a developed area of the St. Petersburg region with good infrastructure and connections with Finland. The nearby border and the availability of sea routes give Vyborg great opportunities in trade, economic and scientific and technical plans for development and prosperity.
Welcome to the city of Vyborg, Russia.