Tasty Cheesy BBQ Toasted Sandwiches
These are and always will be one of my favorite add ons to a Braai/BBQ . This time I present you the bog standard South African hit toastie with Tomato, Onion and Cheese. Make no mistake to think this is healthy in any way, shape or form but trust me all the indulgence is truly worth it.
Preparation Time : 15 Min
Cooking time : 15 Min
- 1 x Loaf of White bread
- 500 g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- Margarine or butter
- Pack out the whole loaf of Bread and spread some margarine on all the slices. You will regret not using the whole loaf.... Trust me.
- Prepare the cheese, onion and tomato
- Pack out every second slice with all the ingredients and close them up.
- When done on the BBQ with all the meats and mains and the fire has calmed down a bit place all the prepared sandwiches on the grid ( timing here is important ) The hotter the fire the more often you need to turn. The trick is to get the cheese to melt but not burn the bread to coal. I find it best just to never let them stay on one side for more than a minute and just continuously flip them until nicely browned and crispy.
- Remove from the fire and serve up the meal ASAP as they are best right now.
Then comes the bonus of leftover toasties. These can be enjoyed any time for a snack or a meal and sometimes i think they are even better as leftovers.
Hope you give this one a try if you have never done the trusty olle toastie on the fire to compliment your BBQ/Braai.
Until Next time....... May the Hunger Stay with You.