Steemit Impact Feedback is a teacherless writing group I’m now starting with the goal to help other Steemians (and myself) become better writers.
Writing is central to a content platform like Steemit. Most value here is produced with text content, be it posts or comments. The more users that come, the higher the stakes in creating quality content that is worth the reward.
To really help one become a better writer, genuine feedback is needed—indeed, a special kind of feedback, given in a criticism-free, advice-free manner, just showing how the text was perceived and experienced by the reader.
The project’s audience is aspiring authors wishing to become established bloggers on social networks like Steemit or Medium, journalists, writers, poets, and book authors.
The goal of a Writing Feedback Group is to help its members produce better texts and better evaluate their own work. It’s attained with mutual feedback and writing exercises. Instead of the usually given advice or opinions, the members share their perceptions of a text, i.e., the feelings and thoughts they experience when reading the text, helping the author figure out how the text works.
This work is done by members for members. The group’s facilitator provides feedback on other members’ feedback quality.
What You Get
- You’ll learn how your texts are perceived by other people using feedback from group members.
- You’ll write faster, more easily, and with better results by doing writing exercises (not obligatory).
- You’ll connect with real people on Steemit, make friends, and expand your network.
What You Give
- Be polite and treat group members with full attention, respect, and empathy.
- Share with the group one text per week.
- Give feedback on every text of other group members.
The participation is free of charge. This is my gift to Steemit members who are interested in quality writing.
- A group can include up to 7 members (supposing that giving feedback to seven people a week is doable), so don’t miss the opportunity to join the first group which is being recruited right now (see the details below).
- Each member can offer to the group one text of any genre per week (200 to 2000 words long).
- Each member fully reads each text posted in the group and gives feedback on it.
- Members commit to participate in the group for four weeks.
- Minimal Steemit reputation 45
- Minimum ten posts longer than 200 words already published
- Minimum Level B2 English
- Manual approval by the group facilitator
Currently the first group, Impact Feedback Alpha, is being recruited. You can apply for membership on the Impact Feedback Channel, especially if you want to ask questions and get to know other members; or, if you’re shy or aren’t acquainted with how Discord works, apply directly on the Impact Feedback website.
You're also Invited to Join The New Isle of Write Discord Server!
Interested in a relaxed place to learn new things or just kick back and chill with other writers and creative types? Check out The Isle of Write!
Under the "Workshop Waters" category are all of the places you can go to both give and receive help, advice, feedback, and inspiration. The workshops are intended for material that hasn’t yet been posted on Steemit, so please share links to your drafts made in Google Docs with comments enabled in sharing settings.
Workshops available on The Isle of Write server include:
- comic-cave (graphics and text combine...and now we have a cave)
- english-grammar-grove (for proofreading help)
- fiction-fjord (fiction pieces only)
- free-writing-retreat (for @mariannewest 's Five Minute Freewriting group, open to all)
- impact-feedback (for @vitkolesnik's project focused on emotional impact in writing)
- nonfiction-fun (for blogs, rants, how-tos, etc)
- off-steemit-ocean (for writing outside of the Steemit platform)
- poetry-pond (to share and give feedback on poetry of all kinds)
- scripting-springs (for stage, screen, or audio scriptwriting)
- songwriters-sounding (for lyrical artists)
- visual-art-vistas (for anything from photography to sculpture)
Check out The Isle of Write’s introduction post for more details!
Supported by Whaleshares
Whaleshares is a community of creative Steemians founded by @officialfuzzy. The vision of Whaleshares community and BeyondBitcoin Hangout Series is to give people a voice to speak about their favorite projects in the blockchain tech space. We need to enable more people and incentivize more crypto savvy content creators to be part of the community, help build and benefit from in a synergistic union. Join the community Discord server offering many channels from general talk to post promotion to contests!
- Many thanks to Isle of Write community for the invaluable support with special thanks to @lenadr and @jrhughes!
- Hats off to Whaleshares community with special thanks to @steempowerpics for the support!
- Front picture by Robert Collins