It's been over a month now since the big changes to rewards were introduced in hard fork 19. Let's see what the current relevant statistics regarding curation are on the SteemIt platform.
I have data-mined all votes and flags between 2017-06-13 17:31:54 and 2017-07-18 00:56:24 UTC and only recorded votes on content which was paid out between June 20th and July 18th. The curation statistics are from roughly 1 month. All SBD values represent author rewards only (the reverse-auction calculation has been included). Content that didn't receive any votes on or before July 18th has been filtered from the data set.
- 6,520,238 votes (including only ~0.097% flags)
- 63,947 total accounts voted or posted at least once
- $2,068,277.043 SBD total author rewards (~88.84% to posts, ~11.16% to comments)
- $175,181.088 SBD (8.47%) was from visible self-votes (the amount of self-voting with multiple accounts is unknown)
- 40,300 (63% of total) users are authors (made at least 1 post this month)
- The average author currently makes only ~$45.544 SBD per month on SteemIt
- This month at least $175,181.088 SBD (nearly 10% of the reward pool) was not assigned to others
- You cannot expect to earn much money on SteemIt (currently only 0.9% of authors make more than $1000 per month)
- It's hard to know how many active users there are, because we can't know which accounts belong to which user
The following statistics are exclusively about top level posts.
- 376,883 total posts ($1,835,420.21 total author rewards)
- 4,986,259 total votes on posts (13.2303 average)
- $4.87 SBD average post author reward
- $1,860.695 SBD highest author reward
- The average post reward is $4.87
- The average user gets around 13 votes on posts
- Authors posted ~9.35 times per month on average
- Content creation is rare since authors post less than 10 times a month on average and the vast majority of that is considered spam
The following statistics are exclusively about comments.
- 723,368 total comments ($230,754.392 total author rewards)
- 1,533,979 total votes on comments (2.1206 average)
- $0.319 SBD average comment reward
- $223.327 SBD max comment author reward
- When a comment receives at least 1 vote, it has received ~2.12 votes on average at payout
- A comment receives 15.27 times less rewards on average than a post (in theory you have to post 15.27 times more comments compared to posts to earn the same rewards)
3. Reward pool distribution
The following statistics are specifically about the distribution of users that control the reward pool.
- 10 people (~0.016%) were responsible for ~21.6% of the payouts (they own only ~5.02% of all SP)
- 53 people (~0.083%) were responsible for ~50% of the payouts
- 100 people (~0.156%) were responsible for ~62% of the payouts
- 634 people (~0.991%) were responsible for ~90% of the payouts
- The distribution problem is a well known problem, but it's expected since we're all very early adopters!
- The top 10 users have assigned 4 times more rewards than their stake (if this is universal that would mean that approximately 75% of voting power is unused each month)
Don't forget to follow, resteem and browse my channel for more information!