Believe it or not, the César salad is not Italian but ... Mexican! However, the creator of this culinary marvel does originate in Italy and its creation is now a heritage of world gastronomy. As often happens with most famous dishes, each country adds something of its creation.
Today I offer you one of the most famous salads in the world in its Caribbean version: Venezuelan Caesar salad. As refreshing as the tropics!
For the salad:
1 Large Creole lettuce
3 garlic cloves
2 Cups of croutons
4 small cut cooked eggs (optional)
½ Cup of grated parmesan cheese
2 Small Anchovy Cans
1 Oil jet (to brown the croutons)
For the vinaigrette:
5 Tablespoons of olive oil
4 Tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice
1 Gram of salt
Steps to follow to make this recipe:
1. First of all, prepare the dressing for the Venezuelan Caesar salad. Mix 5 tablespoons of oil, 4 tablespoons of vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Preferably make it inside a medium bowl and mix it with a balloon stick, so the vinaigrette will emulsify faster. If you do not have the balloon rod does not matter, you can use a fork or spoon, in any case the end result will be the same.
2. Prepare the lettuce for the salad; first eliminate all the outer leaves that are dark, battered or dry. Do it by separating leaf by leaf. Then, wash the lettuce very well.
3. Finely chop or crush the 3 cloves of garlic.
4. Regarding the croutons, tostones, croutones or croûton, you have 3 options:
* Buy facts.
* Get toast in the supermarket and cut them into boxes.
* Make your own croutons. To do this, buy sandwich bread, cut into pieces and toast. You can make them fried in the pan or dry them in the oven. You choose if natural or rubbed with garlic.
In my case I opted for option number two.
5. Place a saucepan with water to boil the eggs. Wait until the water reaches the boiling point, then lower the heat a little to keep the point and add the eggs. Wait between 10 and 12 minutes.
A trick so that the shell does not stick is to immerse the egg in cold water. For this, prepare a container with cold water, some ice and let it rest there until they cool. Then remove the shell, cut the boiled eggs into slices and reserve.
6. Add a little oil in a pan and fry the chopped garlic to continue with the Venezuelan Caesar salad recipe.
7. Next, sauté the croutons. In my case I dyed them little because I bought toast that I cut into squares. So I just fried them to give them flavor and more color. In the event that you prepare homemade croutons with sandwich bread, toast until crispy. You will be delicious, just like the ones bought.
8. Cut the washed lettuce, preferably with your hands, to avoid oxidizing the leaves. The ideal size for the Venezuelan Caesar salad would be that of a bite.
9. Add the cheese and stir carefully to avoid mistreating the lettuce. The best way would be with 2 utensils for salads or two spoons of wood.
10. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently. To taste!
11. A wonderful recipe that goes around the world, adding details in each place. Here is the Caribbean version that retains its essence but with the Venezuelan touch. This Venezuelan Caesar salad recipe is an excellent entree or main course accompaniment; however it is also a perfect dinner for many. I invite you to taste this magnificent version of the traditional Caesar.