This is a basic, restaurant-style Mexican rice recipe, and can be used as a side dish. I cook this dish especially for guests or when there is an occasion, such as a one-dish party. I am sharing this recipe for @purepinay. And of course, to all of you <3
The key to it is the use of seasoning.
In original recipe, you can use the ingredients listed below, but you can also use Taco seasoning (which is optional).
- Vegetable oil - 3 tablespoons
- Uncooked long-grain rice – 1 cup
- Garlic salt - 1 teaspoon
- Ground cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped onion - 1/4 cup
- Tomato sauce - 1/2 cup
- Chicken broth - 2 cups
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add rice to it.
- Sprinkle salt and cumin while stirring constantly until golden and puffed
- Add onions and cook for few minutes
- Then add tomato sauce and chicken broth and bring it to a boil
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes till liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender.
- You can sprinkle more spices to make a different version of the recipe
- You can also fry an onion in oil until it is golden brown before adding rice.
- You can use sea salt instead of garlic salt.
- You can also add chopped bell pepper that is added with the onions about half way through the sauteing of the rice.
Disclaimer: I have used the image from google because I do not have the picture of the recipe, as I did not prepare it today; rather, I shared my knowledge with you that I gained from my own experiments with recipes and from watching recipes on TV and YouTube or from friends.