It is all about the eyes
Credit: Adobe Stock
It is my position that growth in the value of Steem is all about the number of eyes viewing the site, usually measured in transactions, page refreshes, etc.
Gatherings of people naturally create trading groups
Historians believe that cave men traded bones and crafted tools.
Kids at lunch tables create elaborate trading exchanges
You can look at the population distribution in the USA and see how "centers for trading" created groups of people and economies
Craigslist, Poloniex, were created because people needed a place to gather and trade valuable goods and services that make life better.
The same concept is being created here.
I believe this would be recreated, anywhere you put a tribe of people.
Where People Gather an Economy Develops
An Economy is being created on the streets of SteemIt.
There are many others I haven't listed. Feel free to name them in the comments.
Why do I think this is happening now?
More eyes viewing the posts! (supply and demand)
The more people who gather here the more an economy will naturally happen - Here is an imaginary situation
- At some point Coke or Pepsi or another large company may purchase some Steem and create an account. (we aren't there yet)
- Based on other Internet business models, my guess is they would get people to interact with their account by giving away free services or products.
- Some people on SteemIt will be upset about large corporations joining and will try to flag those companies.
- This may work for a while, but if current users keep flagging, and there are enough eyes here to motivate Coke, they will buy into the "Stake Based System". (They could even buy enough stake to vote for their own witnesses)
- Many users may become angry and leave, so Coke has to be careful to retain the "eyes" if they want their purchase to provide returns in name recognition or sales.
- It is all a balancing act
Whether you think it is a good thing or a bad thing, the more eyes we have on SteemIt, the more value and potential it will gain from creative, motivated people.
It is just how it works.
My Conclusion - I want to support people helping others to become successful in this economy for win/win reasons
*this post is a collection of random thoughts meant only to represent my own opinions, some days my thoughts are influenced by the many interesting conversations I listen to on Steemspeak
To help others or not to help others?
This question is debated on a near daily basis on SteemSpeak.