Reindeer don't fly but they do sometimes have red noses!
Here are some interesting facts about these animals:
- Reindeer or in North America called 'caribou' are the only species in which the females also grow antlers in order to defend food in small patches of cleared snow.
- In colder climates the increase in blood flow in the nose will help keep the nose's surface warm, so that the air gets warm too before it gets to their lungs.
- Golden eagles are the leading predator of caribou calves in the late spring and fall.
- Caribou migrate over 3,000 miles in a year, more than any other land mammal.
- Some subspecies have knees that make a clicking noise when they walk so the animals can stay together.
|Settings||ISO 50 1/1250sec f2.8|
|Location||near an Icelandic glacier|
photo taken by @bertokandi. All rights reserved 2018.