Photos from South Africa's streets

in photography •  last year  (edited)

A few of my shots from the streets of South Africa's capital city: Pretoria

DSC_0540.JPG
A street performer in mime. It's common to see people begging and performing at traffic lights for spare change.

DSC_0168.jpg
Men prepare chickens in a "potjie" - a three-legged pot used over a fire. Most likely to be sold during the day.

DSC_0215.jpg
Workers of various industries arrive in the city during the early hours of the morning.

DSC_0103.jpg
A man in a suit carries a backpack like a schoolkid and walks past a closed liquor store.

DSC_0373.jpg
An alley "brown street" is unmarked and considered one of the more dangerous streets in the city. It's sparse now but the next time I went we faced some trouble.

DSC_0258.jpg
It's common to find people carrying bags or pushing trolleys of collected scrap and rubbish to trade in at recycling depots.

DSC_0532.JPG
Two recyclers walk past a sign that reads "Tough, durable and kind to the planet."

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!
Sort Order:  

I get a pretty good feel for the streets in your city through these images. I really liked the one from "brown street" but would've wished for a closer shot when you neared the gentleman a little more. That would've taked the car away on the left and probably get some facial expressions from the guy as well. However, as you're stating that this is a dangerous street to be in, you might want to reconsider my advise for up-close images :)

·

Thanks for the feedback! Will definitely keep that in mind for possible future works.

Really truthful photos !

·

Thank you!

Cool Pics! I'm from Snor City (aka Pretoria) as well... looking forward to more of your pics.

·

Hahaha everyone knows you around here :D

·
·

hmmmmmm.... 90% of what you heard is probably true... and only because I'm still working on the other 10% :p