Creating Strong Passwords
Why a strong password is needed?
Simple answer: to prevent being hack (easy password can be hack using bruteforce method). For example https://email@example.com/simple-password-bruteforce-demonstration-using-hydra?r=fajar.purnama.
Elaborated answer: to prevent unintended access to your accounts because:
- The can lock you out from your own account.
- Impersonate you like in social media to destroy your reputation.
- Steal confidential information or at least your privacy.
- Steal your funds if you have some sort of electronic money.
- In summary, lose everything electronically and maybe even worse as time passes.
Check your email whether it has been pawned or not: https://haveibeenpwned.com
In my opinion a strong password:
- Contains small letters (a,b,c,d...).
- Contains capital letters (A,B,C,D...).
- Contains numbers (1,2,3,4...).
- Contains symbol ($,<,>,?,+,+...).
For additional super strong password:
- More than 6 characters.
- Symbols not on keyboard (ALT+1265=±).
- Words not in dictionary.
- Starts with symbols.
- End with symbols.
Example of strong password: My8.oP.
Example of super strong password: ╥F0r.m3-w4T1ng|f0R|YoU╝
If you doubt your previous password, check them whether they have been pawned or not: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords. If you are sure, then don't bother because by putting it will add your password to the website's database or cache.
Although you have a strong password, it does not protect you from social engineering. For example, clicking on a suspicious link, opening a suspicious attachment, running a suspicious programming, entering your password on a fake login page because you didn't double check the link, etc. This is because you are giving your password to them, in other words, they don't need to guess.