A sponge roll is sometimes known as Swiss roll, roll cake, jam/jelly roll, and some other times, some would say cream roll. What do you call it?
My late grandmother always said a good sponge roll is when you can definitely see the texture with holes just like a sponge would have. Is that really? I do not mind the texture on a roll cake as the following, but when I have regular layers cake, I am not too fond of sponge cake, but a denser kind. I don't know why :D
This following sponge roll is using her go to recipe. The good thing about old tried and true recipes, they truly work :D
I filled my sponge roll with orange jam, but you can use any kinds of jam you like (or whipped cream). Then I glazed the outside with this instant chocolate glaze mixture as shown on the picture bellow, but of course, with a little twist, of rum :D
- 4 eggs, separate the yolks from the whites
- 100 g powdered sugar/icing sugar
- 1 large lemon, grate the skin, set aside, then squeeze the juice, reserve.
- 100 g flour
- orange jam/marmalade
- Beat yolks with sugar for 30 minutes, then beat in lemon juice and skin.
- Beat egg whites until stiff
- Fold in flour into yolks, then fold in egg whites slowly, until combined
- Lay parchment paper on jelly roll pan and spread batter evenly
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake cake for 12-15 minutes
- Take pan out of oven, turn it upside down on a clean parchment paper or towel
- Peel the old parchment paper, spread jam, roll slowly and leave it until cooled to room temperature
- 1 envelope of Dr. Oetker instant chocolate glaze/icing
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- Beat all ingredients for 30 minutes then spread on cooled roll cake
- Let glaze firm-up
- Slice and enjoy :D
Once I am back fully, I will resume my daily theme, so that it would be easier for you to find them :D Thank you!
All photos and recipes on my Steemit account are mine. You can also find them posted on the following links!
Find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/indorecipedotcom/
Find me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/becakpilot/
Find me on Instructables: https://www.instructables.com/member/klinong/