Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

in #life3 years ago (edited)

  What is Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis? 

ALS is a rare degenerative neurological disease that progresses progressively. In this disease the motor neurons, that lead the information from the brain to the muscles, through the spinal cord, die prematurely. Due to this early death the muscles that allow us to doing various movements are getting weaker and weaker over time.  

  What causes this disease? 

It is known that 10% of cases of ALS are transmitted genetically, but still isn't known the cause of the other 90% of the cases.

  Age at which disease manifests 

ALS is a disease that manifests mainly in people over 40 years of age, the peak of incidence is around 75 years of age. However there are cases of adolescents. 

  Is there a cure for ALS? 

No, unfortunately there is still no cure for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. There are only a few treatments to slow the progression of the disease, prevent its complications and also try to improve the quality of life of people affected by ALS.

I hope you liked this post!


You can read my new post about the Symptoms and Diagnosis of this disease here.

All Images Copyrights Free From Pixabay.

Sort:  

disease that manifests mainly in people over 40 years of age??

Yes, the beginning of this disease is more common in people from the age of 40, but there are some exceptions.

waooo ALS ,just hearing this for the first time ,lots of diseases with no cure out there ,may GOD save us

It's really difficult to deal with diseases without cures. The least we can do to help people in these situations is to improve their quality of life and try to maximize their life time!

This is really good that you named ALS, because besides is a disiease many people don´t know about, In 2016 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that between 14,000 - 15,000 Americans have ALS.

ALS is a common neuromuscular disease worldwide.

It affects people of all races and ethnic backgrounds.

God Bless Us All.

Yes, I think nowadays it's difficult not to know what ALS is. I found it interesting and important to make a post about this disease because I'm doing an annual project about it, so I liked to make people more aware of it and I thought Steemit was a good place to do it.
Thanks for your comment!!

Excellent!! Keep the good work!

God Bless Us All!

You should include some references and make it a little bit longer, lots of potential.

Yes, my intention with this post was to make a brief introduction to ALS and later make other posts to develop some subtopics related to the disease.